Samsung's New Phones to Go All Day with One Charge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Well my Droid X runs for 5 days on average before I recharge it. I shut off all the crap I don't need and all the tracking crap I don't want.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]there was a time when phones lasted a week on a single charge... nostalgia goggles on[/citation]

Back then PC-games were developed for pc's, music wasn't ruined by the loudness war and Apple was insignificant.

Those were good times

andyp363

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ChrisCornell[/nom]The text in this picture is in Danish, but anyone who knows Android knows what the figures mean: http://i583.photobucket.com/albums [...] wnload.jpgYes that's right 3 days and 17 hours on my Xperia Mini Pro - with 3G/Wifi enabled, background downloads enabled, screen brightness at 60% and several network-hawking widgets.My old HTC Desire gave me 1½ day if I didn't touch it at all[/citation]

Butt look at the charge graph it goes from almost 10% to 80%~. My phone will last a long time as long as I charge it before it runs out too...

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]andyp363[/nom]Butt look at the charge graph it goes from almost 10% to 80%~. My phone will last a long time as long as I charge it before it runs out too...[/citation]

The counter is reset when the phone is charged, the rise on the graph is probably due to me ending a phonecall or something similar. As soon as you unplug your charger, all counters are reset.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have a desire and lasts around 24 hours but I miss my Nokia E63 if i use it for 3 or 4 short phone calls a day It lasted me 7 - 10 days.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I don't doubt these claims and really the battery life is perhaps the largest problem when it comes to smart phones. If this problem is solved it doesn't just mean convenience for consumer but will make them more suitable for gaming and other activities really giving more reason to buy them. I think it is amazing to see how fast smart phones evolved to what they are now and show no signs of slowing down.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
As soon as I get into WiFi range with my iPhone, it IMMEDIATELY connects. This has always disturbed me, because there has to be some kind of scan going on to look for networks constantly. How much freakin battery is being used for these scans?

If they even made the phone wait 30 seconds per scan, it seems like it would save a lot of battery. Also things like not activating 4G (or even 3G in my case lol) until you open the web browser could be implemented to also help save battery.

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
really depends how you use your phone. On days i only use it to text and call, i still have half the battery left. But if i start playing games and going on the internet, its dead by the end of the day

G

Jeez, this makes me scared to buy an Android phone. With my BB Bold 9650, I *never* have to worry about battery charge - I'm still at 80% by bedtime. In a pinch I can go 2-3 days straight without a charge. Granted, I'm not watching movies and calculating pi all day, but still...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]So, where do you park your horse and buggy?[/citation]

I run my own IT company on a 'dumb' phone. Charge it overnight; also it is usually good for 2 days of usage. If you work for a living you do not need some idiotic $600 gadget to play games, watch TV or impress anyone. You talk to a client or customer and go on with your live.

Games and TV can wait until I get home, have a decent powerful PC and a nice large screen available for TV and enjoy the tech side of things.

Bottom line, do not make fun of people who have better things to do with their money than buying fancy gadgets and then cry about battery life.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
My LG Rumor Touch lasts ONE WEEK without a charge. It may be a crappy phone running at 9fps with no apps and no data, but it lasts AN ENTIRE WEEK without charging. And I use it quite a bit considering it's not a smartphone.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]I still laugh inside when I see all these portable gadgets people have complaining about battery life. My dumb phone lasts 3 full days without charge, fits comfortably in my pocket, and it doesn't break easily.[/citation]

And i laugh at you and your dumbphone which can't play HD games at 30fps or more, can't stream HD mkvs from the home server, can't surf web, can't facebook, can't youtube, can't do GPS, can't do shit.

How difficult is it to charge your phone before you go to bed?? And there is this thing called "power bank" which solves power on the move....but being a dumbphone user, you're probably too dumb to know what it is.

G

I love my Samsung SGH-A197. With it's 3.7V 800ma battery it'll stay powered on for about 6 days idle, and 4 days with moderate calling/texting throughout the day. Add to that it stays in my pockets with change, oil/sawdust/nails, writing devices, etc, without any damage to either screen or it's plastic case. Oh, and it was only $20 with a pay as you go "plan".

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I run my own IT company on a 'dumb' phone. Charge it overnight; also it is usually good for 2 days of usage. If you work for a living you do not need some idiotic $600 gadget to play games, watch TV or impress anyone. You talk to a client or customer and go on with your live.Games and TV can wait until I get home, have a decent powerful PC and a nice large screen available for TV and enjoy the tech side of things.Bottom line, do not make fun of people who have better things to do with their money than buying fancy gadgets and then cry about battery life.[/citation]

Same goes for people like you. Don't make fun of people because you're a bored with no life. I also have a nice TV and consoles and powerful PCs....but i actually use my smartphone more. And i don't have time to play all those games on PC and consoles nowadays. A few minutes of gaming on the move is all i can afford now. And i stream movies to my phone from my server with earphone plug in at night to watch some movies while snuggling in bed without disturbing the missus....PRICELESS.

Do not make fun of people because you have nothing better else to do than sit at home and play games on your big TV with the HT blaring max volume. The rest of us has a life to go on.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I run my own IT company on a 'dumb' phone. Charge it overnight; also it is usually good for 2 days of usage. If you work for a living you do not need some idiotic $600 gadget to play games, watch TV or impress anyone. You talk to a client or customer and go on with your live.Games and TV can wait until I get home, have a decent powerful PC and a nice large screen available for TV and enjoy the tech side of things.Bottom line, do not make fun of people who have better things to do with their money than buying fancy gadgets and then cry about battery life.[/citation]

I work for a living too. When I'm on lunch at work I use my phone to check my Facebook and play games to kill time. When I'm lying in bed sometimes I like to listen to pod-casts. Its also my MP3 player when I walk to work or town. It's not an idiotic gadget. The real "idoit" is the one who calls other things idiotic because his daily life doesn't require them.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]As soon as I get into WiFi range with my iPhone, it IMMEDIATELY connects. This has always disturbed me, because there has to be some kind of scan going on to look for networks constantly. How much freakin battery is being used for these scans?If they even made the phone wait 30 seconds per scan, it seems like it would save a lot of battery. Also things like not activating 4G (or even 3G in my case lol) until you open the web browser could be implemented to also help save battery.[/citation]
just so you know....you can turn off the wifi....read the damn manual, you apple sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.