SanDisk WORM Stores Your Mug for 100 Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
*100 years later*
IT guy: So you want to open this old file of this stick thing?
Historian: Yes! By the way it's called a SD card.
IT guy: *searches on is brand new PC for a SD card slot* Those that format even exist anymore?
Historian: AH CRAP! They forgot that nobody would use this a 100 years in the future!
IT guy: Do you think it will fit in the USB 500 port?
Historian:*sigh*
IT guy: That's a no?
Historian: Yes. Who is the idiot who tough of this we have thousands of these but we can't open them! ALL THESE CARDS ARE RENDERED USELESS!
IT guy: Oh well! Ill buy you lunch at that bistro near the statue of Limitation.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]netetrader7[/nom]Hot summer day is about to,Open the wardrobe is not yet found love after another the right clothes? So, also waiting for? Immediate action bar! Welcome to { http://www.netetrader.com } sure you will find what you need.Moreover, the company has a good reputation, product quality standards, at reasonable prices. Over the years, has been well received by overseas friends for their support. Therefore, please rest assured purchase.++++ www.netetrader.com ++++++++++Best online storeBest quality, Best reputation , Best services---**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 ---**** NFL Jersey $ 35---**** NBA Jersey $ 34 ---**** MLB Jersey $ 35---**** Jordan Six Ring_m $36 ---**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45---**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 ---**** Jacket_m $ 36---**** Hoody_m $ 50 ---**** Manicure Set $ 20---**** handbag $37 ---**** ugg boot $43 ---****---**** sunglass $16 ---**** bult $17 ---****++++ www.netetrader.com ++++++++++[/citation]
Just get off this forum.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]*100 years later*IT guy: So you want to open this old file of this stick thing?Historian: Yes! By the way it's called a SD card.IT guy: *searches on is brand new PC for a SD card slot* Those that format even exist anymore?Historian: AH CRAP! They forgot that nobody would use this a 100 years in the future!IT guy: Do you think it will fit in the USB 500 port?Historian:*sigh*IT guy: That's a no?Historian: Yes. Who is the idiot who tough of this we have thousands of these but we can't open them! ALL THESE CARDS ARE RENDERED USELESS!IT guy: Oh well! Ill buy you lunch at that bistro near the statue of Limitation.[/citation]

LOL!

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
*100 years later*
Toms Guide Writer 1: Wow look at these old articles that we wrote 100 years ago.
Toms Guide Writer 2: I can't believe only 75% of our "articles" were about Apple back then.
Toms Guide Writer 1: I know, oh how things have changed. Flying cars, cure for cancer, woman president, proof reading articles.
Toms Guide Writer 2: Argh, my iWatch is showing the wrong time, we are late for iChurch!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The comments have made this a very interesting article.

I wonder how durable these cards are against heat/moisture/subzero cold etc. Could be a great way to store family pictures, knowing that no one in the family will just overwrite the files on you a year down the road. 1GB is quite small though, I wonder what other flavours they will offer in the years to come.

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
They must also put a SD WORM card reader in a air tight/water-proof/weather proof "TIME CAPSULE" so that 100 yrs from now the cards could also be read.
Along with that, probably an instruction manual on the file format and how to interface the card reader to their computers

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well fire and water could wipe it out. I mean just saying for all the technology we come up with ol' mother nature seems pretty good at going "Oh yeah, watch this."

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]1GB is quite small though, I wonder what other flavours they will offer in the years to come.[/citation]Agreed. I would enjoy a 16gb one to store all the best pictures of the family.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]Why use removable media.... especially so small just begs to get misplaced or intentionally lost if it goes against the prosecutors case.[/citation]

Because you could take the pictures, remove the card, and keep it with the individual case. That way the odds of getting the pictures mixed up with another case are small. If you store all the cases on a harddrive, something might get misplaced or swapped. Therefor bringing in doubt about the investigation.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Because you could take the pictures, remove the card, and keep it with the individual case. That way the odds of getting the pictures mixed up with another case are small. If you store all the cases on a harddrive, something might get misplaced or swapped. Therefor bringing in doubt about the investigation.[/citation]

It's also about having an original copy so it can be used when any doubt of image manipulation steps in.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Sooo... How did they test that this will last for 100 years?[/citation]

LOL!!
Yeah, that would obviously have to be an estimate.
I think the average joe would have a use for this as well. I could save my wedding pictures. On the other hand if you are carefull with a DVD and make a backup it should have no issues lasting 100 years.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Lets hope an electromagnetic pulse don't erase all the digital data of this word, just like in Dark Angel :O Then the Japanese would be with no record of their criminals! Creepy!!

G

haha card can't be tampered...

give it 'n' days (where n < 10) and someone will figure out how to bypass (get another card, only copy over certain images, etc)

G

"These files are super secure, you can not erase them!
in fact as I speak..."
"crack!"
"Ow shit!"

And the SD was no more!

You may not be able to erase them but it's still just as easy to get rid of any evidence!

amorrison0903

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
"...safely for up to 100 years. That's right--bad guys can have their mugs flashed and stored away for almost an entire century."

When did they change a century to be more than 100 years?

Is this like the time the changed the meaning of "For" to "From"?

Status
Not open for further replies.