Sanyo Shows Off Waterproof Full HD Video Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I have an older Xacti... and while it is waterproof, it is only average at taking video and very poor at taking still pictures. Maybe this one will get right what mine got wrong.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I was contemplating on getting Kodak Playsport on Amazon. I love that they keep coming out with HD Waterproof Video Camera. It would be so cool to take one of these on a kayak and snowboarding trips. But for $440? I wonder if it's worth the price difference.

G

I don't think it's directed at divers. I believe it's aiming more towards the outdoorsy/rough condition type crowd.

mytquinn

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I have the 720p version of this, use it 100 days+ a year on the river. Great camera, being waterproof has saved me thousands on not replacing it every two trips and under water fish pics are the best. My only big gripe is the LCD viewfinder is worthless in the sun, would a really viewfinder have been too much? If your a diver you know for $400 your lucky to get a submersible case to put your camera in much less a camera to go with it, so realized that is not marketed at that ;)

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I record videos while riding a motorcycle. This might be pretty good for that. jaysbob908 is right. The outdoorsy types would dig this.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Conincidentally I'm shopping for a waterproof HD camera now.

The Kodak Playpsort says its "Waterproof up to 10 ft. (3 m),Full 1080p HD video".

So how is the Sanyo one first? Any underlying tech thats not being mentioned? Someone telling porky pies?

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Is it just me or does it look like an electric razor in the top picture? Maybe I am just getting too old.

I like the concept, but I am always too busy trying not to drown under water to be concentrating on taking a movie in the pool, what with all the bubbles and everyone else trying to get back up for air.......

And at a max depth of 3m it isn't any use for scuba monkeys either!

Which leaves the only use being for the Charlie Sheen in us all, in the shower........you all know what I mean!!

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I got the playsport from kodak. $129, waterproof up to 10' and shock proof up to 3' and it does 1080p also...for the price difference, why would anyone get this Sanyo?

improviz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Yeah, that's my question. I just got a Playsport. 1080p & 720p @ 60fps. Takes great video. Waterproof to 10 ft. So how the HECK is this the "first waterproof full HD camcorder" ? ? And my Playsport was only $149.... for that price I can buy 2 Kodaks and a mount and shoot everything in 3D... LOL

improviz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
RE: the SCUBA angle - this is probably more for non-divers who end up snorkeling in Hawaii or the Caribbean, etc., and is a cheap way to shoot cool video of your experience. 3M is plenty deep for snorkeling....

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I got the playsport from kodak. $129, waterproof up to 10' and shock proof up to 3' and it does 1080p also...for the price difference, why would anyone get this Sanyo?[/citation]
Having an optical zoom is nice. Between the two I think the Sanyo is the superior camera, but not nearly enough so to make up the price difference. That Kodak is a good value.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ColliSions[/nom]weak, scuba diving is at least 20-30 meters[/citation]

Name a camera that costs $440 and can take HD video at 20-30m then. Go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.