SATA drive on IDE interface

uzee

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a Compaq nc6000 notebook whose drive went bad a few months ago. I was thinking of just replacing the drive but now when I finally got around to looking for one, I realized that most manufacturers either don't offer IDE drives anymore or they are used/refurbished ones which seem to cost more than the new SATA drives.
Since its just a secondary machine obviously I dont want to spend too much and even a 20-40gb drive would be ok too, but I generally avoid buying used hard disks because even the new ones seem to last 3-4 years due to their moving parts, so whats the point in buying it used ?
Anyways, keeping that in mind, could someone please suggest/advice if I'm thinking along the right direction. I also thought of buying a SATA drive, is it possible to use it on that notebook at all, with an adaptor or something? HP's documentation says that it only supports IDE.
Thanks
uzee

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
No.

You'll have to get an IDE drive.

Seagate Momentus 5400.3

ST9120822A , which is the 120GB version should be around $47 (US), the 160GB version costs about $10 more. The 100GB version cost the same and the 80GB version costs about $5 less. I didn't look at the 40GB version, as I'm pretty sure its not much cheaper than the 80. Otherwise, you go for the 80 or the 160 because of the optimal disk/head ratio.