Satechi Ships Cool 12-Port USB Hub "Strip"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
It features eleven LED-lit USB 2.0 ports
That's it? Not even worth reading about.

There's no severe battery drain on the laptop or a strain on the rig's power supply.
Yeah, and not to mentioned this device would not even function if we split up 1000ma 12 ways. Don't think a thumb drive would even power up, let alone a hard drive.

hot pluggable, and can even chain up to 127 USB devices such as digital cameras, external hard drives
OMG, really? We can daisy chain 127 hard drives together and feed them all with 3Mbps max? actually way less because of protocol overhead? It's like hooking up a local hard drive and running it the speed of dsl(the new dial-up) I bet it catches fire.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
there's already tons of hubs just like this one on ebay. In fact I bought one exactly like this one in 2009. another toms advertising. I wonder how much satechi paid.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]there's already tons of hubs just like this one on ebay. In fact I bought one exactly like this one in 2009. another toms advertising. I wonder how much satechi paid.[/citation]

Have you read the first line in the article about email from Satechi? What money? Probably known 'buddy' of Toms asked for quick line in favour. Big deal. Get over it.
p.s. was never a fan of USB hubs

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I really have to vouch for this product - why its just getting release news is beyond me, but i purchased this about 4 months ago from amazon and its the best usb hub ive ever had - most of my devices are passive:

Wireless 360 controller receiver
Printer
HP USB Speaker
Corsair HS1
Logitech USB Hub (to extend from underneath my desk to under my monitor)
Logitech wireless dinovo mini KB & Mouse
Logi Illuminated KB
Logi G500
... (couple of usb flash drives and sometimes a usb2 hdd dock)

So i purchased it to alleviate the amount of wires connecting to my pc
I mounted it underneath my desk towards the back so all my devices are routed to it and not to my pc, when i need to cleam my 800D case all i have to do is unplug the power, speaker connectors, and 1 usb cable then roll it out and clean it - as opposed to unplugging a million devices and reconnecting them when im done

It really allows fr better cable management/ routing/ preventing dust bunnies

G

Aren't there a billion of these things on dealextreme for like $7? What makes this one special? Oh wait I know, NOTHING because its a USB 2.0 hub it will never be special.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
"OMG, really? We can daisy chain 127 hard drives together and feed them all with 3Mbps max? actually way less because of protocol overhead?"

USB 2.0 runs up to 480 Mbps. This is orders of magnitude faster than 3Mbps. Older USB 1.0 ran at 12Mbps which is still faster. I think you've confused the speed with Bluetooth+ERR which runs at 3Mbps.

Minor note: this hub won't allow for 127 devices since this is the absolute USB max. The hub itself counts as ~3 devices since it internally acts as a few daisy-chained hubs to be able to have 12 external ports (an unusually high number). The real number is closer to 124.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Even though it is USB 2.0 there are still many applications for this. I got the rosewill 10 port hub a few months ago and love it - only 1 cable goes into my laptop now. I have the following attached:

Logitech G9x
Aliewnare TactX keyboard (occupies 2 plugs)
Printer
Webcam
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver
IR Receiver for Remote

Despite all the hype for USB 3.0 - nothing I own uses it except my laptop. So why would I want to pay the much higher price for a USB 3.0 hub vs a USB 2.0 one?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]I really have to vouch for this product - why its just getting release news is beyond me, but i purchased this about 4 months ago from amazon and its the best usb hub ive ever had - most of my devices are passive:Wireless 360 controller receiverPrinterHP USB SpeakerCorsair HS1Logitech USB Hub (to extend from underneath my desk to under my monitor)Logitech wireless dinovo mini KB & MouseLogi Illuminated KBLogi G500... (couple of usb flash drives and sometimes a usb2 hdd dock)So i purchased it to alleviate the amount of wires connecting to my pcI mounted it underneath my desk towards the back so all my devices are routed to it and not to my pc, when i need to cleam my 800D case all i have to do is unplug the power, speaker connectors, and 1 usb cable then roll it out and clean it - as opposed to unplugging a million devices and reconnecting them when im doneIt really allows fr better cable management/ routing/ preventing dust bunnies[/citation]

Reads like a company sponsored post...

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]lathe26[/nom]"OMG, really? We can daisy chain 127 hard drives together and feed them all with 3Mbps max? actually way less because of protocol overhead?"USB 2.0 runs up to 480 Mbps. This is orders of magnitude faster than 3Mbps. Older USB 1.0 ran at 12Mbps which is still faster. I think you've confused the speed with Bluetooth+ERR which runs at 3Mbps.Minor note: this hub won't allow for 127 devices since this is the absolute USB max. The hub itself counts as ~3 devices since it internally acts as a few daisy-chained hubs to be able to have 12 external ports (an unusually high number). The real number is closer to 124.[/citation]
Just divided the 480Mbps by 127 Devices and hacked off the remainder for protocol overhead. OK, so I know that a typical user is not going to be copying from all 124 external hard drives at the same time, but for myself, even using a single usb 2.0 connected hard drive is painful, since I routinely do large file transfers.

The point being is this entire article wreaks of being a paid ad. And it is redicoulous becuase the attempt for such a simple and outdated device is laughable. If it were USB 3.0 and maybe had a SD card reader built in for kicks I'de be interested. *Wink

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Gotta agree, if it's not USB 3.0 and doesn't connect to the PC via ESATA I don't see what's so special about another USB 2.0 hub...as for the guy who doesn't like/use USB hubs...I have 3 hubs, because there is NO possible way to get that many USB connections on my computer. I have 29 devices connected all which use USB ports, some have to be directly connected (Like my Spyder monitor color adjuster). I have 12 external USB 2.0 hard drives (totals to 16 tb of externals), 2 eSATA hard drives (2tb each, so we are upto 20tb of externals now), 3 printers (Laser printer, cd printer and deskjet w/ scanner), wireless Logitech MX mouse, wireless MS keyboard, the list just goes on and on and on....btw: I have 2 dedicated 20 amp breakers for my computer system.....[/citation]
Your system is a bit self conflicting. Why so many hard drives on such a slow bus, do you ever do backups? Must take weeks. I could build a server with 100TB that would barely push 1 20amp breaker. You must have a bunch of CRTs and old laser printers hooked up to some sort of usb 2.0 dongle, eating all that power.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
They'd make more profit making a 4x4 port USB hub, than a 1x12port!
Also provide it with a battery pack,and a power adaptor.

it'd be nice the day they are equipped with processors, so you can transfer files hardwarematic from one device to the other (each port having the full 480Mbits for themselves, only sharing 480MBits with the computer, rather than to share 480Mbits amongst all ports.
In other words, there's no solution to faster data transfer to the computer, but it will be nice to be able to transfer files between harddrives, and USB sticks, each getting the full 480MBits speed. If data does not need to pass the CPU or computer, it might be called 'progress'. But as things stand, this is just the same as hooking up 4 cheap USB ports together!

Status
Not open for further replies.