Satellites Will Be Used to Catch You Speeding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]In the US, I believe that would likely be the biggest roadblock to implementation, as speeding tickets and other traffic violations are imposed on the driver, rather than the registered owner, of a vehicle. Verifying the driver at the time of the infraction would be a challenge in the best case scenario, and impossible in the worst case.But hey, those are the sorts of details with which most governments are happy to figure out after they've invested millions in the technology to produce the tickets (that are just going to get thrown out in court anyway).[/citation]

If they tried to do it in the US they'd likely be watching and send officers out to areas they saw too much speeding or someone going to much faster than the flow of traffic down a long Interstate.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Why are the British people taking this! I know privacy and freedoms are a little more dear to American hearts given our history, but seriously this is just outrageous. America is facing its own issues but the Brits just seem to be getting jack booted left and right along with their cousins New Zealand and Australia.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Doommaker[/nom]First speed cameras were supposed to create a utopia, now this? When will it end!?[/citation]

Never, if we the people do not stand up & stop it. Soon we will be tracked like cattle, go ahead say it cannot happen. Matter of fact it is already happening. We just sit here talking/blogging about it, waiting for it to happen. What kind of world will our kids live in?

G

They already do that in Australia. So not all that new. There the Satellite records your average speed and then at some point there is the highway police that stops you and gives you your fine.

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I am willing to bet that the things taking the pictures are ground based and notified to take a pic from a satelite. That would explain being able to take pic in any weather. So in theory, this satellite would only work on roads that are equipped with cameras. Honestly, I dont think this system will work well, if at all. I think there is going to be a lot of false positives or tickets for innocent people. Boo to you Britian.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
In Florida, if I am correct, they average your time between exits when using Sun Pass. You get from point A to point B faster then the speed limit would allow, you get ticketed. Obviously if you encounter traffic, your not going to get there faster.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]In Florida, if I am correct, they average your time between exits when using Sun Pass. You get from point A to point B faster then the speed limit would allow, you get ticketed. Obviously if you encounter traffic, your not going to get there faster.[/citation]

But they do not know or can't prove what happened in between. What if somebody was abducted by a UFO and reappeared at the other end of the gate in less than usual time? What if a meteorological phenomenon occurred that bent space and time and made your car reappear on the other end in 2 seconds? Why should you get a ticket for that? And how accurate are their clocks in the first place? Like speed cameras they need to have good maintenance records, otherwise you can dispute that as well.

jsschneidereit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I always wanted to ask my calc prof this (cause they do it on some road in italy he said) mlopinto, but couldn't you just go hella fast all the way to the bend right before the check point and stop til your time averaged your speed out?

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
The company claims that the new technology can capture plates in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day
how can they possibly spot a license plate from space, during night, while there is a snow storm/ rain storm? there cant possibly be enough light from any spectrum reflecting back into space to read the plates.
it sounds like a sham to me...

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
What if I am in Cornwall and hit a mini worm hole and instantly end up in London. Do I get a $306,463,257 ticket?

This must be addressed.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]rajaton[/nom]Check out the kids who sent the camera up into space for under $200 Maybe they'll do something like that![/citation]
That was on a balloon, and made it to 100,000 feet or so. It's MUCH cheaper to do that than it is to launch a satellite.

Satellites are many thousands of dollars a pound, minimum.

G

Do you even need the satalites for anything more than GPS? You could have two ground cameras (or more) at known positions, a computer will roughly match cars, and a human will verify that they are the same licence plates. Of course I'm assuming a lot here - the article is not exactly clear what the satalite is used for.

Why do you even need a satalite?

Canada already has photo radar (is it not in the U.S.?) You can be charged as the owner of a vehicle that was speeding. It's not considered a moving violation, so it doesn't matter who was driving.

G

Unless were going to have to put number plates on the roof of our car,
thier going to have a hard time seeing my number plate all the
time.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Smartglass + Licence plate = Can't photo dis!

Or you can just have a black car then dispute it was the other black car right next to you... since everyone owns a black car.

Joecitizen

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I wish they would put as much time and energy into catching real criminals (i.e rapists, burglars etc.) instead of blatant revenue generating....

Status
Not open for further replies.