Satellites Will Be Used to Catch You Speeding

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
love oh love i gotta tell ya how I feel about you cause I oh I can't go a minute without your love like a satellite i'm in orbit all the way around you and I would fall out into the night can't go a minute without your love.

Give us some love judge.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
How was a camera in space capture a plate number? Do cars in England have plates mounted on the roof?

And if it would track by GPS, would a ID number be sent. Also, whats to stop people from speeding with older cars? Would a GPS be required? Maybe built into the license plate.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"Its main use would be for enforcing speeds on heavily congested roadways"

If is really heavily congested, can people still speed up?
Unless they are giving people ticket for driving "too slow"..;)

hehe

sleepmode53

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
license plate hood?

Other note: I think I will not install a plate flipper or something to that degree. I am totally not sarcastic. lie. lie.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i wonder what are those duties they plan to put the street officers on? this is pure laziness on the police department...maybe they can all have meetings at the doughnut store...wtf?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]But they do not know or can't prove what happened in between. What if somebody was abducted by a UFO and reappeared at the other end of the gate in less than usual time? What if a meteorological phenomenon occurred that bent space and time and made your car reappear on the other end in 2 seconds? Why should you get a ticket for that? And how accurate are their clocks in the first place? Like speed cameras they need to have good maintenance records, otherwise you can dispute that as well.[/citation]
Remember, time is relative. :D

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Bert R[/nom]So long to the "airplane enforced" highways. Always with the outsourcing![/citation]
Absolute classic lol!

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
good thing I live in the USA. unlike most every other country, I'm not living in a large jail and big brother isn't watching every little step. sure no country is 100% free but it is the closest to it. i sure am glad I never had to live in the UK, just one other reason why to add to the list.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm not a fan of big brother keeping tabs on me either, but then again I'm not doing anything illegal. I like the idea of catching car theives and criminals using satellites, but I don't like the idea of anyone tracking me.

When it comes to the whole speeding issue, I'm thirty years old. I'm not some punk kid who just got his license. I never go more than five over anyway. Generally, I do drive the speed limit. In the last week I can tell you of two crazy drivers that I faced. One was a vehicle in my lane on a hill that was passing another vehicle illegally on a double yellow (at no point did the driver pass begin or end on a non-double yellow), and I was also tailgated by a cigarette smoking 19ish year old girl with sunglasses too big for her face. I tapped the breaks and she nearly lost it. Got all mad and KEPT tailgating me. She went AROUND me as I came to a light in the left turn lane and swerved back in front of me. I pulled up beside her and yes, I used the B word. She didn't even think she was tailgating...apparently she was unfamiliar with the two second rule. How she ever obtained a driver's license I do not know. Even when I was seventeen I thought that the legal driving age should be at least twenty one. Nobody seems to understand that a one ton vehicle traveling at 55 miles per hour is a virtual weapon. Vehicular manslaughter isn't something you hear talked about enough, but sadly, it is pretty common.

Got a little off subject - but I really think that the HTS needs safer drivers, not just safer cars. Who knows if satellite speed monitoring will help much or not, but you can be sure that speed limits are there for a reason. Not just for collecting revenue.

The system works. The more we speed (and endanger lives) the more police we need to ensure we don't. We have to pay for police, so speeding is actually a sensible source of revenue. Stop speeding and they'll either lower the number of policemen or raise taxes. Lately, they've been trying to do both because the economy sucks.

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
what i cant believe is, why people all over the world don't do more to stop spying like that on citizens.. UK, US, whatever.. if people will not speak out for themselves then soon you won't be able to take a dump without someone knowing, or watching what you're doing..

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -B. Franklin

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Lets face it we all "feel in control" when we're driving, but if we were actually all "in control" we wouldn't have accidents! Just obey the posted speeds and big brother won't feel compelled to monitor us so much!

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]Lets face it we all "feel in control" when we're driving, but if we were actually all "in control" we wouldn't have accidents! Just obey the posted speeds and big brother won't feel compelled to monitor us so much![/citation]

OBEY..

again...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -B. Franklin

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The cameras take the photographs - they are at known locations (hence GPS) - therefore the system can read the number plate and calculate the average speed of the number plate between the two points. Add more cameras and you cover all possible routes.

However, with number plate cloning rife already because of the congestion charge in London, I would think that the system will have problems with two or more cars bearing the same number plate driving about the country (possibly hundreds of miles apart).

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]cichy69[/nom]OBEY..again..."They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -B. Franklin[/citation]

"You cannot make men good by law: and without good men you cannot have a good society." ~ C. S. Lewis

Be a good man, and have no need for law.

"Laws are not masters but servants, and he rules them who obeys them." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

I'm not religious but...

"But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers." ~ Bible, 1 Timothy 1. 8-9.

"The good need fear no law; it is his safety, and the bad man's awe." ~ Ben Jonson

"Ignorance of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law, but because it is an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to confute him." ~ John Selden

"The verdict acquits the raven, but condemns the dove." ~ Juvenal

I never said a word about giving up freedom. If you act in accordance with the law set before you which is reasonable (speed limits are there to protect others, not inhibit your freedom) then you should not have fear of the law. You seem to want to make a basic law into something about freedom. The authorities simply want a way to enforce it without having to put so many police with radar guns on the road. Can't fault them for being sensible, especially if it saves tax dollars and keeps. It's the logical move, albiet it might feel a bit like we're being watched. How many people like policemen these days though? Would you rather have a man present watching your driving? Would that change the fact that people speed and shouldn't and ought to be held accountable to laws that protect pedestrians, other drivers, etc?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
It almost seems like people these days want so much freedom that they lean towards anarchy. I agree that our government seems corrupt (that's because the Fed is too big and powerful, and local governments need to have power returned to them) but it almost seems like everyone these days want to return to anarchy...

You can have your wild west. Trust me, it isn't any better than an overbearing big brother. The true balance is somewhere in the middle, or just north of it. We need to strike that balance. Times are changing, majority view changes, technology changes things too...but we still NEED law to maintain societal structure and peace. Taxation = bad. Law = good. Law that imprisons the innocent or strips us of rights and basic freedom = bad. Its simple truth, but not so simple to put into practice. Law is created by men, and men are extremists. First one way, then the other. Often guided by a lack of understanding and fear. A good judge knows when he's right and doesn't let fear rule his judgements. Gay marriage for instance, should be allowed. There is no harm in it. We should not tell others how to live if they are not harming us. I have never been the victim of homosexual violence or any crime stemming from homosexual activity. Have you?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]cichy69[/nom]OBEY..again..."They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -B. Franklin[/citation]

I might add too that you agree to the speed limit law when you obtain your driver's license, when you pay taxes, and when you vote.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]How in the hell are effing SATELLITES IN SPACE low cost and easy to install? WTF are you comparing this to?[/citation]

...Perhaps in relative comparison to other methods?

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I'm British; I was suprised to read this... I thought they'd be doing it already. That's how low my expectations of Labour is.

Also, one thing I will give us Brits; Our roads are safe. I've been to many other countries, (not the US though) and England is by far the safest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS