Saudi Arabia Bans BlackBerrys in All of Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_pad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]The US has the CIA, the Brits have MI6, Canada has RIM...[/citation]

RIM FTW

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There is a saying used when talking about Apple's restrictive practices that seems strangely appropriate here:

"it's their sandbox..."

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Good for RIM. The parasites don't need to be in everyone's business. There are other ways to find someone bent on terrorist or otherwise destructive behavior.

G

Wow good news... I might wanna buy a Blackberry now... im tired of beeing spied by Facebook, USA, China, ...

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]The US has the CIA, the Brits have MI6, Canada has RIM...[/citation]

CSIS is the Canadian version of the CIA

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It's hard to comment since I actually don't know how the encryption works.

"accommodate any request for a copy of a customer's encryption key since at no time does RIM, or any wireless network operator, ever possess a copy of the key."

If this is true then how come no other phones are being banned? How are they spying on the other smartphones? RIM can't be the only one that uses encryption at all are they?

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]"Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home" I guess Disney got it right.Make no mistake, this wasn't done in the interest of "National Security". This was done in the interest of Islamic "morality" and maintaining the supremacy of the absolute monarchy. If they can't spy on your email, they can't be sure your following the tenets of Sharia ("Islamic Law"), nor can they be sure you aren't criticizing the King or a local religious leader.We would have long ago condemned Saudi Arabia to the axis of evil along with Iran, Korea, and Iraq (pre-war) if they didn't have so damn much delicious oil.RIM uses their own data network and their own point-to-point encryption (based on a unique key stored on the phone). Think VPN. Other smartphones connect straight to the internet, so Saudi Arabia (and anyone else controlling the ISP) could inject themselves between the phone and the network. The government can inject itself as the authentication server. I doubt anyone in Saudi Arabia ever sees a "Signed by Verisign" notice on their web browser. Every website is probably signed by the Saudi Government, because they've intercepted your communication (i.e. their servers authenticate with the outside site, your browser authenticates with their servers, so they can un-encrypt the data, process it, then re-encrypt it and send it to you using your public key). That's why its not only important to see that a site using https (or other encryption) has a valid certificate, you need to see who signed for that certificate. Who knows, your employer could be using this tactic right now to read your private, personal emails everytime you check your gmail.[/citation]

korea, you are a moron!

fanat1c

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]"Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home" I guess Disney got it right.Make no mistake, this wasn't done in the interest of "National Security". This was done in the interest of Islamic "morality" and maintaining the supremacy of the absolute monarchy. If they can't spy on your email, they can't be sure your following the tenets of Sharia ("Islamic Law"), nor can they be sure you aren't criticizing the King or a local religious leader.We would have long ago condemned Saudi Arabia to the axis of evil along with Iran, Korea, and Iraq (pre-war) if they didn't have so damn much delicious oil.[/citation]

Clearly you are quite ignorant about Islam. Their policies did not match RIMs and so they dont allow them. Same with the chinese and google. Learn about the subject before you demonstrate your stupidity.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
While, I believe every country and people have the right to govern their lands as they fit, ... I mean it's been what 1000 years since the last crusade aren't we about do. No longer will we spread Christianity we will spread common sense.

If UAE and SA can't hack a black berry, then I believe they are ripe for the picking. I wonder if the CIA knows it can't hack a black berry! LOL, if I were the head of these countries and our counter intelligent team couldn't get through black berry encryption then it's time that someone gets beheaded.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
I work in Saudi Arabia. And, yes, my company gave me a Blackberry.

Hey, people. It's not about Sharia. It's not about national security. It's about control.

Status
Not open for further replies.