Solved! Save movies directly to SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

1GalvestonMom

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I have a LG K7 version 5.1.1

I have a subscription to the Starz app. The main perk is to download movies to my phone. Of course you know space is limited on internal storage so I installed a 16g SD card.

How do I bypass my internal storage to save the movies DIRECTLY to the SD card? My phone is rooted if that helps.

OR is it possible to move my system apps to the SD card in order to free some internal storage?

Thank you in advance!
Gavestonmom

Solution
The Starz app, while it allows you to download to the phone, it does not allow for moving to or downloading to an SD card. This is to prevent people from making copies and transferring them elsewhere. Most services that allow for downloads to the phone do not allow for downloading to the SD card or moving to other devices.

In regard to moving apps to the SD card, you may be able to do so since your phone is rooted. However I would suggest posting the question about moving apps over in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum... http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

NOTE: They won't be able to help you move Starz downloads to the SD card, as stated above, this is a limitation put in by the service.

If the device was not...
The Starz app, while it allows you to download to the phone, it does not allow for moving to or downloading to an SD card. This is to prevent people from making copies and transferring them elsewhere. Most services that allow for downloads to the phone do not allow for downloading to the SD card or moving to other devices.

In regard to moving apps to the SD card, you may be able to do so since your phone is rooted. However I would suggest posting the question about moving apps over in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum... http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

NOTE: They won't be able to help you move Starz downloads to the SD card, as stated above, this is a limitation put in by the service.

If the device was not rooted, you would need to be running Android "Marshmallow" or above to convert the SD card into "Internal" storage, which would then allow for running apps from it. I am including those instructions below.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
You should still be able to do so, if downloaded directly to the phone itself when you do have internet.

What you can do to free up some space is to move things like photos, videos (not those kinds but personal ones), music, etc over to the card.

I would also suggest clearing out the cache for many apps. Things like Facebook and your browser will keep adding data to the phone. Until you clear it out. Also removing apps you just don't use is a way to free up space.

1GalvestonMom

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Exactly! I've moved all the photos and all the apps the system allows me to move. My internal storage is only 8g. My system apps take up most of the space. I have a few necessary apps pertaining to banking etc that cannot be moved to the SD card for some reason. Id be perfectly happy to download to internal storage, just can't seem to create enough space. Is there any way to increase internal storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.