SCEA Files Patent for Laugh, Smile Detecting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
One of the applications for that in a game would be the expression of your character.

It could be used for online games, so if you were happy about something, your character could smile, or if mad, your character could frown.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Will they detect when I'm aroused?
Could be used to help determine what kind of clothing (or lack thereof) I prefer the characters to wear in game without having to customize it. =D

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I'm sick of the concept of patenting. Anyone with a camera, decent programming experience and lots of time could make something like this. Why can someone patent it?

It's a crock of sh*t.

realheadcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Hum... I think it's time to sue Sony. They are depicting my "Rotating feet device to kick you own ass" without my aproval. I want one hundred gazillion dollars.

realheadcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Hum... I think it's time to sue Sony. They are depicting my "Rotating feet device to kick you own ass" without my aproval. I want one hundred gazillion dollars.

realheadcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
How much will they sue those that already detect smiles for auto shutter purposes because they haven't patented their invention or implementation.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
It may not have been aimed at gaming, but smile detection is already used.

Smile detection was shown off this year at CES 2009 by multiple camera manufacturers.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]It may not have been aimed at gaming, but smile detection is already used.Smile detection was shown off this year at CES 2009 by multiple camera manufacturers.[/citation]
yeah, we have such a camera here, and the smile detection feature sucks.

It is about as acurate as that NES speech recognition device...

silversquare

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Seems interesting on the surface but for a console I don't think it is necessary. Save it for the holodeck's we'll have in 500 years.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I'll echo someone else's comment from above - I'm sure I've seen a news article in the past where they'd got various android things reacting to people's expressions etc

G

Personally I think it would be rather unnerving to have a game or movie react to whatever I happen to be doing or saying. I prefer entering text or pressing a button.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.