School District Buying iPad 2s for Kindergartners

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
... It was bad enough when they decided to roll out these things to high schools, but for kindergartners? Whatever happened to not trusting babies with expensive things. All you can hope for is a bunch of little kids eating the damned things.

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]My school can't even afford textbooks.[/citation]

Exactly, but apple would rather give the discount to a school that will help promote their products and keep knowledge away from those who would benefit from it the most. The more I learn of Americas BS capitalistic nature the more I am losing hope in this country... Before you start your 'this is business' crap yeas you need to make a profit to run a business but how you make your money is what counts. You can work hard and earn it or you can use people to get what you want. Earn your money the honest way is what my old man taught me. Sure I may not be rich for doing it this way but I am completely contempt with my life. What saddens me is the fact that America one of the richest countries in the world has poor and hungry people and children who do not have access to education and healthcare.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
i'll be waiting for the story of kids spilling juice and stepping all over these ipads by accident during playtime. seriously, where has common sense gone?

Pyree

Distinguished
Shouldn't kindergartener play outside and learn from actual experience instead of from a touch screen interface. I mean they are so young, they haven't even finish exploring the real world.They should send a letter to home to learn about postal service and go to the park and look at plants and insects to learn science. Understand the reality before learning something new with an interface. I will definitely not allow my child to attend that kindergarten. It sounds like the staffs are lazy to educate the kids with real thing and allocate the resources to some tech that kids don't need.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
It might save the school district some money if they switch everything to electronic books.

It would definitly save money if they made books for some colleges courses electronic, www.uspirg.org and www.studentpirgs.org say the average yearly cost of text books is $900.

As for the replacement of damaged Ipad2's It would make sense to me that it would cost the parents, would definitely make the parents want to teach their kids responsibility(unless they spoil their children).

Of course there are cheaper alternatives than an Ipad 2, but it's not our decision to make hopefully it works out well for them and maybe even help the kids become more tech saavy.

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
This is unbelieveably messed up. Know what i think the worst part is? That they bought iPad2's instead of iPad originals. Supposedly this is to cut down on textbook costs and weight? The I'm pretty sure an iPad original would work fine. Less money from the taxpayers and NO CAMERA FOR LITTLE CHILDREN TO VIDEOTAPE THEMSELVES WITH. yeah no safety concerns there...

Also, if the reason really is textbooks... I think maybe kindergardten is a little young... I think in K we were just learning to color in the lines right? Not reading Advanced Molecular Physics.

Second thought, everything about this bothers me. child safety just comes to mind first. So messed up. If that happened in my school district I would be boycotting the decision and contacting the news with mobs of people to protest it.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Apple is most likely giving the school a hefty discount. They've been doing that for years now, they offer their products to schools in the hope that students will become accustomed to using them. When the students grow up and get real jobs they'll spend their money on the overpriced Apple products and join the "apple faithful".

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Bunch of idiots again on Tom's so blinded by hate they think that any use of an Apple product is a waste. How many of you nerds are teachers? Specifically teachers of K-6? Yeah, I though so.

I gave my two girls my old iPhone 3's when we got new iPhone 4's. They were four and six. They picked them up right away and figured them out. I got them several apps to make them think and learn reading and writing. They both progressed quickly using these iPhones. With iPads and bigger screens I'm sure they'd do even better. And I limit their time each day so they still have plenty of time to be kids.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Bunch of idiots again on Tom's so blinded by hate they think that any use of an Apple product is a waste. How many of you nerds are teachers? Specifically teachers of K-6? Yeah, I though so.I gave my two girls my old iPhone 3's when we got new iPhone 4's. They were four and six. They picked them up right away and figured them out. I got them several apps to make them think and learn reading and writing. They both progressed quickly using these iPhones. With iPads and bigger screens I'm sure they'd do even better. And I limit their time each day so they still have plenty of time to be kids.[/citation]
Considering that there is no such thing as iPhone 3's I think I will .... butt .... secks... you.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]vir_cotto[/nom]It might save the school district some money if they switch everything to electronic books.It would definitly save money if they made books for some colleges courses electronic, www.uspirg.org and www.studentpirgs.org say the average yearly cost of text books is $900. As for the replacement of damaged Ipad2's It would make sense to me that it would cost the parents, would definitely make the parents want to teach their kids responsibility(unless they spoil their children). Of course there are cheaper alternatives than an Ipad 2, but it's not our decision to make hopefully it works out well for them and maybe even help the kids become more tech saavy.[/citation]

Well, that would be true. As long as the publisher of the books doesn't know that your going to try to turn into a computer/ebook based school (instead of textbook based).

I know, the school im currently attending (Whale Branch early college high school) is computer based school that opened up this past fall. The school district tried to have the school near textbook free (just keeping a few book incase a student didn't have a computer with them for some reason) but when the books publishers heard that were trying to have all the books computer based, they Jacked up the price to make textbooks cheaper. So while we have computers, we also have heavy text books to carry around with us. (greedy companies. Try to nickel and dime even school districts)

As for kindergartners having ipads in general. I say that just way to young. Heck 15% of the students in my school (out of about 500 students) dont even take care of there laptops and these are HIGH SCHOOL kids.

I cant even think how many ipads a kindergartners will go though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.