scnerio: 2 replays 1 subscription ?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via ethernet network but the second
machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.

Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream shows to the other?

Best regards,

George Rachor
george@rachors.com


--
=========================================================
George L. Rachor Jr. george@rachors.com
Hillsboro, Oregon http:rachors.com
United States of America Amateur Radio : KD7DCX
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh

>I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via ethernet network but the second
>machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>
>Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream shows to the other?
>
>Best regards,
>
>George Rachor
>george@rachors.com

No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
expensive doorstop.


Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
"If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
news:n1bnc01qr9b8f84vetkea86iog73n1t18l@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh
>
> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
ethernet network but the second
> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
> >
> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
shows to the other?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >George Rachor
> >george@rachors.com
>
> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
> expensive doorstop.
>

Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:36 -0400, "Pusta" <ckapusta@comcast.net>
wrote:
If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
I just installed one and it works perfect.
Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
from the other room while watching it. Slick!
My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>
>"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>news:n1bnc01qr9b8f84vetkea86iog73n1t18l@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh
>>
>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>ethernet network but the second
>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>> >
>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>shows to the other?
>> >
>> >Best regards,
>> >
>> >George Rachor
>> >george@rachors.com
>>
>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>> expensive doorstop.
>>
>
>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:13:27 -0400, Remove _NOSPAM_
<_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:36 -0400, "Pusta" <ckapusta@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.

They do work fine. The video quality is good.

That is, under ideal conditions. A lot of things can cause
interferance. Range is usually MUCH less than advertised.. I seldom
use the things except for temporary setups.

>>
>>"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>>news:n1bnc01qr9b8f84vetkea86iog73n1t18l@4ax.com...
>>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh
>>>
>>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>>ethernet network but the second
>>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>>> >
>>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>>shows to the other?
>>> >
>>> >Best regards,
>>> >
>>> >George Rachor
>>> >george@rachors.com
>>>
>>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>>> expensive doorstop.
>>>
>>
>>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
>>

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Are those wireless video relays still 2.5 Ghz? If so that doesn't work because I
also run 802.11b wireless computer networking....

George Rachor

Remove _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> writes:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:36 -0400, "Pusta" <ckapusta@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>>
>>"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>>news:n1bnc01qr9b8f84vetkea86iog73n1t18l@4ax.com...
>>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh
>>>
>>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>>ethernet network but the second
>>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>>> >
>>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>>shows to the other?
>>> >
>>> >Best regards,
>>> >
>>> >George Rachor
>>> >george@rachors.com
>>>
>>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>>> expensive doorstop.
>>>
>>
>>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
>>

--
=========================================================
George L. Rachor Jr. george@rachors.com
Hillsboro, Oregon http:rachors.com
United States of America Amateur Radio : KD7DCX
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mine range is fine even though it transmits from opposite ends of the
house.

>>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>
>They do work fine. The video quality is good.
>That is, under ideal conditions. A lot of things can cause
>interferance. Range is usually MUCH less than advertised.. I seldom
>use the things except for temporary setups.

>>>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>>>ethernet network but the second
>>>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>>>> >
>>>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>>>shows to the other?
>>>> >Best regards,
>>>> >George Rachor
>>>> >george@rachors.com
>>>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>>>> expensive doorstop.
>>>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:45:31 -0400, Remove _NOSPAM_
<_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:

>Mine range is fine even though it transmits from opposite ends of the
>house.
>

It seems to vary greatly, depending on actual conditions and sources
of interferance. Sometimes it won't transmit 30 feet. You may have to
move your A/V stuff around to favoid problems. I got tired of doing
that several times a day. It's a good idea to avoid wireless devices
(including A/V and computer network) whenever possible.

There's also the free "microwave in use" indicator.

>>>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>>>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>>>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>>>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>>>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>>>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>>
>>They do work fine. The video quality is good.
>>That is, under ideal conditions. A lot of things can cause
>>interferance. Range is usually MUCH less than advertised.. I seldom
>>use the things except for temporary setups.
>
>>>>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>>>>ethernet network but the second
>>>>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>>>>shows to the other?
>>>>> >Best regards,
>>>>> >George Rachor
>>>>> >george@rachors.com
>>>>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>>>>> expensive doorstop.
>>>>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:09:44 -0500, george@agora.rdrop.com (George
Rachor) wrote:

>
>Are those wireless video relays still 2.5 Ghz? If so that doesn't work because I
>also run 802.11b wireless computer networking....
>

It's 2.4GHz (you might have heard 2.45, I rounded the number). Anyway,
cables work much better (for both A/V and network). There's still
places you need wireless, but don't fail to consider wired (much
simpler and works better, the network is even faster) first.

>George Rachor
>
>Remove _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> writes:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:58:36 -0400, "Pusta" <ckapusta@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>>>
>>>"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
>>>news:n1bnc01qr9b8f84vetkea86iog73n1t18l@4ax.com...
>>>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:07:51 -0500, George Rachor spoketh
>>>>
>>>> >I'm considering the purchase of 2 replays. They would be connected via
>>>ethernet network but the second
>>>> >machine wouldn't neccesarily be hooked up to my Satellite reciever.
>>>> >
>>>> >Could I activate the subscription on the primary replay and just stream
>>>shows to the other?
>>>> >
>>>> >Best regards,
>>>> >
>>>> >George Rachor
>>>> >george@rachors.com
>>>>
>>>> No. All ReplayTVs must be activated, or they'll be nothing but an
>>>> expensive doorstop.
>>>>
>>>
>>>Not true Lars, you can also use them as a paperweight. :)
>>>

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
 

JGM

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
48
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

><ckapusta@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>
>They do work fine. The video quality is good.
>
>That is, under ideal conditions. A lot of things can cause
>interferance. Range is usually MUCH less than advertised.

Also, of course you can't watch something else on or through the Replay on the
connected TV. My current solution for this is an ugly VHS sneakernet, but I
might try the A/V resender in the near future.

JGM
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 16 Jun 2004 15:52:41 GMT, jgmclean0@aol.com (JGM) wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>><ckapusta@comcast.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>If you want to watch your replayTV from another room...
>>>Buy a A/V wireless transmitter and receiver.
>>>I just installed one and it works perfect.
>>>Also comes with the wireless remote so you can control the replayTV
>>>from the other room while watching it. Slick!
>>>My A/V wireless kit cam from BestBuy and cost $79.
>>
>>They do work fine. The video quality is good.
>>
>>That is, under ideal conditions. A lot of things can cause
>>interferance. Range is usually MUCH less than advertised.
>
> Also, of course you can't watch something else on or through the Replay on the
>connected TV. My current solution for this is an ugly VHS sneakernet, but I
>might try the A/V resender in the near future.
>
>JGM

Looks like you're passing the signal (from the A/V link) through a
Replay at the receiving end. Why would you do that?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
 

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
372
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

You really need to look at your home construction and the signal path before
you leap into RF solutions. My house is tropical building code masonary (lots
of steel and concrete) and they don't work worth a damn here. Within a stick
built home with foil wrap or metal siding I bet they are great. That is living
in a faraday cage. Going out to the pool bar might be hard tho if you don't
have L.O.S. through a window.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) shaped the electrons to say:
>You really need to look at your home construction and the signal path before
>you leap into RF solutions. My house is tropical building code masonary (lots
>of steel and concrete) and they don't work worth a damn here. Within a stick

Very true. I setup an 802.11g network in my parents home in Florida
and I was surprised by the lack of range when there were only a couple
of walls between the base station and the office I was sitting in.
But I found out the entire place was build using steel framing for the
walls and it made sense.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

george@agora.rdrop.com (George Rachor) shaped the electrons to say:
>Are those wireless video relays still 2.5 Ghz? If so that doesn't work
>because I
>also run 802.11b wireless computer networking....

Well, 2.4GHZ - and technically really 2.45GHz. But they *should*
co-exist with an 802.11b/g network.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Is it also masonry? My house is all steel framed construction and the
WiFi signal is solid throughout both floors of the house. I
experimented with location and found that putting it in the corner of
the house on the second floor provided the best coverage. All but the
farthest corner get a strong signal. I added an AP on the diagonally
opposite corner on the first floor and now I have solid signal
everywhere.

From:MegaZone
newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org

> gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) shaped the electrons to say:
>> You really need to look at your home construction and the signal
>> path before you leap into RF solutions. My house is tropical
>> building code masonary (lots of steel and concrete) and they don't
>> work worth a damn here. Within a stick
>
> Very true. I setup an 802.11g network in my parents home in Florida
> and I was surprised by the lack of range when there were only a couple
> of walls between the base station and the office I was sitting in.
> But I found out the entire place was build using steel framing for the
> walls and it made sense.
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
> --
> <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author,
> Engineer, me. "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the
> wisest men" 508-755-4098 <URL:http://www.megazone.org/>
> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

They co-exist just fine.... I can see all the computer network activity on the video in the form of horizontal flat black lines and popping with the sound.

Totally nat wanted...

George Rachor


newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) writes:

>george@agora.rdrop.com (George Rachor) shaped the electrons to say:
>>Are those wireless video relays still 2.5 Ghz? If so that doesn't work
>>because I
>>also run 802.11b wireless computer networking....

>Well, 2.4GHZ - and technically really 2.45GHz. But they *should*
>co-exist with an 802.11b/g network.

>-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
>--
><URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
>"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
><URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
--
=========================================================
George L. Rachor Jr. george@rachors.com
Hillsboro, Oregon http:rachors.com
United States of America Amateur Radio : KD7DCX
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>Is it also masonry? My house is all steel framed construction and the
>WiFi signal is solid throughout both floors of the house. I

Inside, no - sheetrock on steel studs. If I move to a clean LOS from
the base station at about the same distance the signal is strong.
Move to the other side of the wall, which also changes the angle and
thus adds the wall of the room the base station is in too (clear LOS
is looking down the house into the door of the office) - weak signal.

Go into the next room, with another wall, no signal.

Fortunately it reaches far enough for their needs - just not into the
guest room I stay in. :)

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

You might want to try a cantenna or similar to pick up the signal
better. I've found that Netgear stuff generallyt has the best radios and
antennas.

From:MegaZone
newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org

> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>> Is it also masonry? My house is all steel framed construction and the
>> WiFi signal is solid throughout both floors of the house. I
>
> Inside, no - sheetrock on steel studs. If I move to a clean LOS from
> the base station at about the same distance the signal is strong.
> Move to the other side of the wall, which also changes the angle and
> thus adds the wall of the room the base station is in too (clear LOS
> is looking down the house into the door of the office) - weak signal.
>
> Go into the next room, with another wall, no signal.
>
> Fortunately it reaches far enough for their needs - just not into the
> guest room I stay in. :)
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
> --
> <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author,
> Engineer, me. "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the
> wisest men" 508-755-4098 <URL:http://www.megazone.org/>
> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>You might want to try a cantenna or similar to pick up the signal
>better. I've found that Netgear stuff generallyt has the best radios and

My laptop has a built in 11g antenna, no external pigtail. And I
don't think the base-station has one either (Belkin IIRC).

Not a big deal, it works for them. At home I have a Netgear base
station - but I live in a small apartment with wood framing. (For now
- I'm house hunting...)

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
I Streaming Video & TVs 0
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 22
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 17
G Streaming Video & TVs 6
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 15
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
J Streaming Video & TVs 11
G Streaming Video & TVs 32
G Streaming Video & TVs 18

ASK THE COMMUNITY