Scorsese: I'd Consider Going 3D-only for My Movies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Avatar is still the 3D movie that impressed me the most until now, it really was a different experience watching it in 3D

But one thing I don't like about 3D is that image loses color and sharpness... I watched Kung Fu Panda 2 in 3D at the theater, and it was impressive, specially Shen's tail (the peacock villain).

But the film lacked some sharpness, clarity, and color definition... I've recently bought the movie in BluRay (I'm from Brazil, the BluRay has been released here already), and the difference in image was striking compared to watching it in 3D.

For Avatar it was the same thing. The movie in BluRay has a definition and color that I simply didn't see at the theater.

3D has the immersion differential, but stil has to catch up in image quality

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
James cameron wants to do Avatar 2 in 60 fpc or better format , I have seen examples of this and it makes a "Huge" diffrence from the orignal 24 Add the detail of a native 4K format , and the experence is simply amasing , 3D does have one limitation , Perspective is Frozen in the scene, unlike the real world where the object of intest can be any object, only one object on film is in proper perspective looking at the others causes visual stress as what we see cant be brought into proper perspective , Good 3D film makers are well aware of this rule and create content that draws (by using focal depth) the eyes naturly to the proper object so we dont try and look at the objects that wont add up and the viewing experence is low stress.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
When 3D movies are done right... they are worth it. With Avatar, James Cameron didn't make it a gimmick... with junk jumping at you. He made the world in 3D and used the best 3D tech to make the movie. I paid to watch it in theaters at least 3 times.

TRON : I didn't care for its 3D, it looked weak... I liked it in 2D.
Cars 3 : stupid movie, but looked good in 3D
The Owls of blah blah : Excellent 3D
Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas movie : we did it for the hell of it... its not better because of the 3D, but it funny because they are using 3D as a gimmick.

I'd say that most movies do not need 3D.... but in a few years, if they can do 3D without the glasses or out-rages prices, it can be used more. And of course for some people with eye-problems, they cannot WATCH a 3D movie (it would be like watching a 3D movie without the glasses; un-watchable)

I'm not impressed with Hollywood sticking 3D onto any movie... A good (bad) example is Clash of the Titans, in which it was tacked on... and won't fix a crappy movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.