Screen Messing Up (Dell Chromebook)

dudeguy1241

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I have a Dell Chromebook Model P22T. Around a week or two again my screen started flickering and showing horizontal lines on the screen. Occasionally I will move the screen and many boxes and lines will show up and obscure the screen. If I apply pressure to a certain spot on the edge of the screen it goes away. It also has some problems when not enough different colors are on the screen at once. Such as if I am watching a Youtube video about half the screen will have a veil of horizontal lines flickering in and out.

What could be causing this problem and how can I fix it?

Solution

I found the problem. Next to the screen connector, on the left, there is something. I am not sure what it is called but it had a copper wire that was flat and thin. This wire was weird flexed so it wasn't touching the green...
Sounds like a hardware issue. The display itself going. Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

dudeguy1241

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

I found the problem. Next to the screen connector, on the left, there is something. I am not sure what it is called but it had a copper wire that was flat and thin. This wire was weird flexed so it wasn't touching the green bit underneath it. When I applied pressure to it the screen worked fine. When I didn't it was very glitchy and broken. So I but some velcro tape on the opposite side of it and on the embezzle. This made it work slightly better. It was still glitchy because the velcro made the embezzle protrude so it didn't apply enough pressure for it to work. I put some tape overtop it and now it seems to be working fine.

I have no clue if this was the best choice or even a good one but it seems to be working for now so i'm sticking with it.

Solution