Solved! Screen tearing in games

neather

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hello everyone
So i have been having this problem after i upgraded to windows 10
everytime I try to run my games I keep getting this screen tearing unless i have vsync on
and that thing eats up my fps
i can barely run my games on 40-50 fps with vsync is off ( I got so many fps drops when it's on )
I have a low end laptop so vsync fix is a no for me does anyone knows a fix for it
I have every driver is up to date
here's my laptop+specs
Lenovo z50-70
secs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4510U @ 2.00GHz 44 °C
Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
LENOVO Lancer 5A5 (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Lenovo)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce 840M (Lenovo) 41 °C
ForceWare version: 391.24
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8FBS
Audio
Conexant SmartAudio HD

Solution
Vsync doesn't eat fps it just caps the frame rate to your display's refresh to prevent tearing.

Another alternative to vsync is fast sync found in the same drop down box under vsync for nvidia cards.

Theres something else going on.

If your new to Win 10 then you might not be aware of xbox game bar. On by default, this app brings automatic recording of gameplay amongst other features.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update%3famp

boju

Distinguished
Vsync doesn't eat fps it just caps the frame rate to your display's refresh to prevent tearing.

Another alternative to vsync is fast sync found in the same drop down box under vsync for nvidia cards.

Theres something else going on.

If your new to Win 10 then you might not be aware of xbox game bar. On by default, this app brings automatic recording of gameplay amongst other features.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update%3famp

Solution

neather

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Yeah i disabled that one (Kinda the first thing i did when i get win 10
With vsync my game literally freezes every 3 min specially in bf1 pubg overwatch most of my fps games which is something i don't want with these specs of mine
i will turn vsync in the nvidia card and see what happens

boju

Distinguished
The freezings sounds like a driver issue. Did you reinstall Nvidia drivers or you still using the rollover driver from the upgrade?

And id go as far as reinstalling motherboard drivers if available for your laptop. Rollover drivers are generic Windows drivers that are installed over the top of old drivers to make them compatible. Can cause issues.

neather

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I did reinstall nvidia drivers
and the thing is even on desktop when i go to another window a small flash happens ( https://streamable.com/9vuq0)
i believe it's a display problem but I'm not really sure tbh

boju

Distinguished
Yeah shouldn't flash like that, could be part of the problem.

Use display driver uninstaller in safemode and wipe Nvidia and try again. Install ddu first before going to safemode. Enter safemode, hold shift while clicking restart.

Agreed this sounds like a driver issue. That laptop is an Nvidia Optimus configuration. The Intel GPU always drives the screen, the Nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor. Every time a frame is completed on the Nvidia GPU, it is sent to the Intel GPU for display. Effectively, vsync is always on, with the two GPUs acting as the two framebuffers in vsync. You should not be seeing tearing, ever.

Windows 10 update likes to install what it thinks is the right driver even if it's worse than the manufacturer-provided drivers. Try downloading the proper GPU drivers (Intel and Nvidia) for your laptop from the Lenovo website. Then disable your network connection (so Windows cannot update). Use DDU to uninstall the video drivers, then manually install the two GPU drivers you've downloaded. With your network connection still disabled, test your games again.

neather

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Just did that and checked few games it fixed pubg,rainbow six ,rocket league
bf1 is the only one still have the problem
with vsync on i get 50fps in it but the keep keep freezing as soon as i fire a gun or run for a bit ( on the lowest settings ofc)

TRENDING THREADS