sd card as ram

Brad_Tway

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
How do I use my SD card as additional RAM i.e.like page file on a computer? Is there a way to do this? Or am I limited on the number of apps I can install? 1 Gig of RAM does not seem like enough, also is there a way to increase the amount of internal storage from the default - 4 gig to 8 which is not much at all either?

Solution
You can't use an SD card as additional RAM. You can use it as additional storage space, but cards are not meant for, or capable of, becoming RAM.

Now, if you are wanting to make the SD Card "Internal" rather than "External" (which is what would allow for apps to be installed on it) then you would need to be running "Marshmallow" and also have a device that will allow for the change. Since you didn't mention what you have, I can't say for sure.

If you actually are running "Marshmallow", or can upgrade to it, then you would need a blank SD card to start with. Why? Because when you change the way the card is read (to internal instead of external) the card is formatted as well as encoded. This will erase anything that is already on the...
You can't use an SD card as additional RAM. You can use it as additional storage space, but cards are not meant for, or capable of, becoming RAM.

Now, if you are wanting to make the SD Card "Internal" rather than "External" (which is what would allow for apps to be installed on it) then you would need to be running "Marshmallow" and also have a device that will allow for the change. Since you didn't mention what you have, I can't say for sure.

If you actually are running "Marshmallow", or can upgrade to it, then you would need a blank SD card to start with. Why? Because when you change the way the card is read (to internal instead of external) the card is formatted as well as encoded. This will erase anything that is already on the SD card and will also make the card only readable by that device.

If you are not running "Marshmallow", are unable to upgrade to it or are using a device that doesn't allow the change to "Internal" then the only other option I can think of would be to root the device. That, however, I cannot assist you with. For information on Rooting please visit the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Solution