SD Card Turns NOOK Color Into Android Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Interesting. What if someone already has a large microSD card that they want to use? I assume that there is eventually going to be a torrent where you can download the card contents, and what's stopping people from using that? Of course, it is nice to support the developers. This is something I could recommend to friends who don't have a ton of tech knowledge.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
It is curious that the description includes 802.11 A,
while barns and noble says b/g/n.
I wonder how the software change enables 5ghz wireless.

phendric

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
The Nook2Android website makes it very clear that they aren't the developers of the Gingerbread ROM they've put on the card. Instead, they're using the work of the Cyanogen Mod team, which you can download and put on your own blank card for free. Given that you can get a class 6 8GB microSD card for about $13, or a class 10 card for $20 on Newegg, you're basically paying $15 for someone else to load a freely available ROM onto a card.

Nook2Android is also a safer way to transform the device without having to use unofficial hacks, as it's sold through Amazon and sports a 14-day money-back guarantee.

Newegg will allow you to return your card, as will retail outlets like Best Buy. Again, the only thing you're paying for, other than the card itself, is for someone else to do the work of loading CM7 on it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
thanks but no thanks.....nook color is such a piece of crap....my bro-in-law got it for my daughter and it's useless....speaker is crap and the battery does not last very long....how are they allowed to sell this stuff?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]thanks but no thanks.....nook color is such a piece of crap....my bro-in-law got it for my daughter and it's useless....speaker is crap and the battery does not last very long....how are they allowed to sell this stuff?[/citation]

Really? I have one and my battery lasts about 6 days without having to recharge it. I really only use it at home so I do not take it with me everywhere I go so that might make the diff. do not know. The speaker is crap, but it is intended first has a e-book reader and not a mp3 player. I might suggest you got a bad one.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
AMAZON selling a device to change the OS in their competitor's product??? Nothing fishy about that. :)

And BTW my wife complains about the battery life with her Nook color.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]phendric[/nom]The Nook2Android website makes it very clear that they aren't the developers of the Gingerbread ROM they've put on the card. Instead, they're using the work of the Cyanogen Mod team, which you can download and put on your own blank card for free. Given that you can get a class 6 8GB microSD card for about $13, or a class 10 card for $20 on Newegg, you're basically paying $15 for someone else to load a freely available ROM onto a card.Newegg will allow you to return your card, as will retail outlets like Best Buy. Again, the only thing you're paying for, other than the card itself, is for someone else to do the work of loading CM7 on it.[/citation]
For Best Buy's sake, hopefully all those morons who pay Geek Squad extortion prices to do things like load software onto their laptop or hook HDMI cables between their Blu-Ray player and TV don't read your comment. I imagine the flood of people deciding that they really can work technology all by themselves might bankrupt the technical support industry. India might overnight revert all it's recent economic progress when Dell and everyone else cancels their support contracts because customers can just figure this stuff out for themselves. Heck, the car repair industry, plumbing industry, hospitals, etc.. might just all collapse when people realize they can just do this stuff themselves.

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. I would tell my own grandmothers (may they RIP) to by an Apple before I'd build either one a PC running Windows or Ubuntu, just because I don't want to be their own personal technical support when any little thing goes wrong. Believe it or not, not everyone knows how to install an OS, much less configure that installation to dual-boot to either a vanilla copy of android or the pre-installed Nook version. But, tell one of those people that all they have to do is insert this little card, and then their Nook will work just like their android smartphone, and wham, you'll have a few sales for sure. Yes, I know people who own smartphones who couldn't otherwise tell the difference between Android or iOS. They're still competent enough to get things done, but Rooting, OS, Cyanogen, dual-boot, these terms mean nothing to them.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
@hellwig - You may know two people that own smartphones that don't know how to install an OS, but how many people reading tech articles on Tom's don't know how to install an OS?

Here is a quote from the nook2android site:
"Both groups offer their software and updates for no charge under the Android Open Source Project and the GNU Public License. These licenses allow Nook2Android to legally use, distribute, and support their software and updates."

Legally use, distribute, and support. Sure thing, you have only one problem. Its illegal to sell software distributed originally under the GNU public license. This company is doomed from the start. I hope they can make a big enough cash grab to keep themselves out of legal hot water, or move to Jamaica before anyone see's what their doing.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Really? I have one and my battery lasts about 6 days without having to recharge it. I really only use it at home so I do not take it with me everywhere I go so that might make the diff. do not know. The speaker is crap, but it is intended first has a e-book reader and not a mp3 player. I might suggest you got a bad one.[/citation]
try reading something outside on a very sunny day....wait you can't

G

You see, this is why more businesses should allow nearly unlimited degrees of freedom with their products; everyone will like the product and them! Now was that so hard?

Of course, maybe I'm wrong.

G

@nebum: People that buy the Nook Color (and are quite happy with it, like myself) didn't buy it to read outside. If we wanted that, we would have bought the e-ink Nook or the Kindle. Your comments are obviously just to bash the Nook Color. After your first comment was invalidated, you simply side-stepped Parradc's response with another silly post.

Try using a an umbrella to start a fire....."wait you can't" ...and hopefully you wouldn't buy one intending to.

G

I also have to agree; I have an issue with the Nook Color battery; I read every night after work and in the morning before work and I have to charge twice a week-Amazon sent me some tips on how to make the charge last longer, but it didn't make much difference. I bought the Gingerbread SD via Ebay and it is amazing! I can't figure out yet how to change the clock time OR how to read my books, but I'm working on it. It really transformed my boring reader into something much more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.