SD Memory Card Design Gets 300 MB/s Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
But, will the card itself match the 300 MB/s interface speed? That's enough for uncompressed 10 bit HD video, pretty insane if the card can keep up...

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
can we get some of these fast speeds affordable? sdxc sounds nice and all, but when the cards are in the hundreds of dollars it's kind of a bummer

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]...retty insane if the card can keep up...[/citation]

You hit the nail on the head right there. Goody-gumdrops if the interface can hit that speed, but it's pointless if the medium can only hit a fraction of it. I doubt most of the people reading this have storage capable of saturating a SATA 2.0 interface...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Nice to know they are at least working on it though
Give it time and I would like to see SD cards replace Optical Disks as the only viable physical media format.
Would make packaging, shipping, storage and production costs all a fraction what they are today, not to mention the reduction in energy in reading or writing.
I wonder how many millions of tons of CO2 would be saved by killing BluRay & DVD and having HD Movie SD?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Interesting. Pretty soon we won't need SDDs, just skip straight to memory cards.[/citation]

im expecting a massive price increase on these cards, and ssd's should get a nice speed boost and price reduction by the time these are mainstream...i heard intel is releasing some new ones by the end of the year, i expect some massive price drops

yo_yo2400

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Isn't their some thing that makes SD cards go into a raid 0? That would be AMAZING with this. Insane speed if you raided alot of them.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Interesting. Pretty soon we won't need SDDs, just skip straight to memory cards.[/citation]

Besides the issues involved with NAND degradation. SSD's have firmware and other methods that prevent premature deterioration due to writing, standard flash memory does not. Still a complete possibility with the way technology is advancing though.

G

and yet i cant help but be annoyed at this seeing as i owe a slew of SD, mini SD, micro SD, SDHC and micro SDHC cards, now there's the possibility of adding SDXC micro SDXC cards to that collection, really i just want 1 card that i can use in the majority of my devices

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
ooo all you poor guys fighting over blu ray and HD and this is the final nail in the coffin for them both, wake up and listen to the death knell of optical disc drives for every thing.
glad i never wasted a dime on an 8 track type device like HD dvd or blu ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.