Solved! SDD Upgrade Question

Apr 11, 2021
Hello. I have a HP Pavillion 360 15 br095ms and the SSD in it is 128 GB. I would like to upgrade it. I found my model number at Crucial to look for compatible upgrades but the SSD it shows are 2.5 inch drives and that is not the form factor of my drive. I am only trying to find out if I can upgrade to a 2 TB SSD. I have been told that I should be able to do that but I hate to buy one and then find out my laptop will not see it.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thank You.

Solution
It would appear you could replace either. Odd that the Crucial site doesn't say that. Which drive is the boot drive? I would expect it would be the existing SDD. If that is the case, a simple solution would be to replace the HDD with the new SSD. You could then dump the data from your old HDD to the new SSD using an external USB adapter. Drive speed is an issue, but the SSD are so fast it's hard to imagine you'll really notice. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/m2-ssd-vs-sata.html is a pretty good overview. They discuss theoretical speeds, but you need to understand what your machine is actually capable of and how fast the drive you choose is. Once the 2nd SSD is installed, you could run speed tests on both and if the...
Apr 11, 2021
No that is not it. The SSD it came with is the m.2 2280 form factor the one that looks a lot like a memory stick. When I pull it up on Crucial it shows me the 2.5 size which is nothing close. This laptop also came with a internal HDD that is a 1 TB storage drive and the funny thing is that when i pull my laptop up at HP or even a site that did a review they never even mention that there is a 1 TB storage drive in there. I wonder if Crucial maybe is saying that I can replace the 2.5 inch HDD Storage Drive with a 2.5 inch SSD? Maybe wires got crossed with info somewhere. Everywhere I have looked to buy the 2 TB SSD drive has a 30 day return policy but I just hate doing things like that. This is what Crucial shows me:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-x360-15-br095ms

But this is the drive in the laptop:

It would appear you could replace either. Odd that the Crucial site doesn't say that. Which drive is the boot drive? I would expect it would be the existing SDD. If that is the case, a simple solution would be to replace the HDD with the new SSD. You could then dump the data from your old HDD to the new SSD using an external USB adapter. Drive speed is an issue, but the SSD are so fast it's hard to imagine you'll really notice. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/m2-ssd-vs-sata.html is a pretty good overview. They discuss theoretical speeds, but you need to understand what your machine is actually capable of and how fast the drive you choose is. Once the 2nd SSD is installed, you could run speed tests on both and if the new 2TB drive is a lot faster, make that the boot drive (which would be a bit of a pain to do).

Reactions: Molly3510
Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
Reactions: Molly3510