SDXC for long term frequently accessed storage.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Hello Everyone,

I have a laptop that I have heavily modified already, and feel I could use more space, but I don't want to remove my optical drive for an extra HDD, at least not yet.

I have an SDXC card reader built in that I have not used in the last 9 months of having this laptop. I am considering to get an UHS-1 64GB SDXC to use as pretty much a small 2nd hard drive. I looked at 128GB ones but they are just way too expensive.

What I am wondering is will it be fast enough with 10+Mbps transfer speeds, and will it last well in my laptop which I put to sleep and wake up sometimes frequently.

I plan to use it probably as storage for my music and a few movies to take a little pressure off my 1TB HDD. I have all the files backed up on my desktop, so file loss is not a big concern, but if it is unreliable then it kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the input.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Well I have several flash drives and externals but my laptop only uses USB 2.0 ports, and the SD slot puts it out of the way to where I could possibly leave it without worry. Flash drives stick out too much taking away from the permanence of it.

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Yea so it is fast enough for playing basic media. I figured I can load it up with an extra 60GB of movies and just let it sit. My only real concern was that it might prove highly volatile with constant cycles in and out of sleep mode.

Turning on and off shouldn't be a major problem if your sd card is a newer model
Filling it that full will most likely cause performace and stability problems though

Li Ken-un

Estimable
May 25, 2014
PNY has a 256GB SDXC card now for around $100. It's fast enough for those used to using laptop hard drives and it stores a lot of data for its form factor, but I wouldn't keep anything important on it or write to it frequently.