Searching for a laptop with good sound and a good dvd-player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raijin

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I can get Asus here. So I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip!
I'll tell him about the hdmi adapter too. It is possible to get it at your local electro store, right?

By the way. How is that executioner compared to M1710? I invested my money in a M1710 last year, but maybe I'll switch to an Executioner if it's better in the future.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I got my HDMI adapters online, if you need one contact me and I can get you one for $10.

Well the XPS1710 has some issues with cooling for one (you can see a pic of the interior here as opposed to the GPU heatsink on the Executioner. I have been contacted by many people that have an XPS with a 7950 GTX that was underclocked from the factory to 7900 speeds.

To me, that is false advertising, but I have had some DELL owners jump all over me that it is not. If you buy a Mustang with a V8, but 2 cylinders are disabled to the point of being the exact spec's of a 6 cyl., it stands to reason you got a V-6, but that's just me.

There is a difference in the quality of the case.

The LCD I use is made by Samsung, pretty much considered by everyone to be the best LCD manufacturer in the business. I don't know who makes DELL's, but I would guess, whoever is cheapest.

Of course you have the RAID0 or RAID1 array option with the Executioner. I am unaware if the XPS has that, but I'm sure someone will chime in here.

As far as customization, you are limited at DELL to about 3 things whereas I can skin any design you want, GENUINE carbon fiber the top (not a sticker like the fine print at DELL), aluminum cut outs, vinyl cuts, branding... pretty much anything you want.

Performance wise, there is no comparison as the Executioner is easily beating the Alienware m9700 which has 2 GPU's vs. the XPS's 1. That was from an independent review , I would send a system anywhere to go against an XPS, unfortunately I don't think I am going to get a response from DELL concerning that challenge. :lol:

Memory you have allot of reasonably priced options like DDR2-667 1 and 2 GB chips and DDR2-800, more importantly I offer you 3 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB which the Intel chipset won't see anyway!, I'll tell you that. I of course will sell you 4 GB, but there is no reason to get it since it isn't going to do you any good.

I don't think there is any question of the support and warranty service.

Raijin

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Something must be wrong with asus' servers... Didn't get the chance to check out any of the notebooks. But I found the ones recommended in some webshops. All of those match his demands, so I have to ask him which one he wants. Think it'll be either a8jp oer a8js, since they're smaller. Anyway, all of the Asus laptops that were recommended ship with an expresscard slot. So I'll check out the X-fi Card from Creative.

So, Mark(can I call you that?). Guess I should have searched for some better options before I ordered my m1710. You ship to Europe, right? Any chance that you'll be selling ultra-portables in the future? If so, I'm all yours, as a customer. It'll be a while before I can afford a new notebook. And who knows, maybe by that time I've fallen so much in love with my 17" widescreen display that I'll order an Executioner from you:p If the m1710 have heatings problem now, wonder how it'll be with the go 8800 GTX... Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Hope your business will be doing well so I'll be able to order a notebook from you in the future. By the way, isn't it possible for you to send a notebook to Tom's Hardware and let them to a m1710 vs. Executioner test? Or doesn't it work that way? That way you'd really get some nice PR.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Edit: Forgot to ask. Would you be able to provide a norwegian version of the keyboard?

Actually, Tom's pitted his Executioner against a Eurocom laptop and both performed incredibly well with the Executioner coming out on top. Good choice with the A8's, the X-fi will be a good addition, too. I'm pretty sure he ships over seas, but it will cost extra of course.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The only issue I have with the ultra portable market is the lack of a decent GPU. All the ones I know of (below 14.1") have integrated graphics to the tune of GM950 or x200 card. I can build them sure, if you need/want one, email me and I can custom build one for you.

I do ship to Europe, and have a U.K. distributor, ScorpiusPC for anyone on "the Island", and I can get and country keyboard you want (it just takes forever). I usually ship with a US KB then send the specific one you ordered later.

As far as the XPS 1710, I can't see DELL getting an 8800 class card in there present configuration. They have problems already, and it is just a very poor design. There is a thread at the GuruOfGaming with pictures of the XPS internals so you can see what I mean.

I would certainly send a notebook to be tested, in fact Tom's has an Executioner now that is being reviewed head to head against a WidowPC Sting. Then it should be off to another part of Tom's to do an article on the heatsink mod.

ps: we'll be here, K|N has systems in:
Claremont -Australia
Warragul -Australia
Tumut -Australia
Artarmon -Australia
Woolloongabba -Australia
Beersel -Belgium
Brossard -Canada
Caledon -Canada
Calgary -Canada
Dartmouth -Canada
Pinawa -Canada
Red Deer -Canada
Thisted -Denmark
North Yorkshire -England
Jeonju City -Korea
Kamal Pokhari -Nepal
Aro Valley -New Zealand
#13-88 -SINGAPORE
Cape Town -South Africa
Sandton -South Africa
Visp -SWITZERLAND
Borehamwood -UK
Northampton -UK
K|N goal, to have a system in every country.

T4House

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Hey you forgot one! Although originally shipped to US, you have an Executioner now living in Northwest China. Still waiting on your reply for a 2GB chip of memory. I might add. :?

T4House

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Yep. :) or :twisted: And its always fun to watch and see what each one has to say. I just pity the opinionated ones who come along and chime in prior to doing their homework. That's what the rest of us all come to see.

Raijin

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Lostandwandering: I'm sure that the a8 plus the x-fi will work great. So thanks for the recommendation :)

Mark: Yeah, I know you can't configure the M1710 with a 8800 solution, but I was thinking more in the future with a go 8800 GTX. They'll come eventually.
About the ultraportable. Isn't it possible to ship it with the x1400? How much power does this card pack? To be honest, I don't know so much about low and mid end gpus. Allthough, with an ultra portable I don't need extreme graphics power, but it would be nice to be able to play some games on the fly, but mostly I'd use it to write some code, surfing the net and such. A DVI port would be nice though. Do you have any pictures of a KN ultraportable? Have to say, I can't afford one yet. So I'll have to wait.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I am not sure if you can get a ultra-portable with a x1400, well, I should say with your other requirements of the DVI.

Shoot me an email and I can send you any image you want of what I have.
That said, as before, I do know someone with a 12.1" XPS he is selling, which may be your best bet as far as small with a more than integrated GPU.