I just received the new Lenovo Ideapad 720s with 8th gen i7-8550u, and mx150 gpu. My model cost about $900usd for 8gb of ram and 250gb ssd but you can pay a bit more for the 512gb abd 16gb of ram model.
I love this laptop for many reasons:
- nice sharp IPS thin bezel display (14" screen in a 12.5" chassis)
- Fast 4core/8thread CPU
- It's like 0.62" thick I believe, very small form factor for whats inside
- MX150 GPU while you said you won't be gaming, this will allow you to play casual games as well as be an asset when it comes to photo/video rendering/editing or anything more graphically intensive. The GPU switches between integrated and dedicated to conserve power as well.
- Long battery life, i got about 9 hours of media and general use out of it
- Good JBL speakers
- Thunderbolt 3 port, not 4 lanes so you can't run an external GPU but it'll still be really fast transfer speeds
- Metal chassis, feels like a Macbook.
The only downside, which doesn't even really bother me. Because the system utilizes 2 fans rather than one under load you will be able to hear the fans. Typically I can't hear a sound, as I'm typing now all I hear is the tap of my keyboard and I'm downloading 2 large games. But know there will be times the fan is audible.