Second display for Lenovo W530 laptop disconnecting/ turning black after a few seconds

Robertrigo5000

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hi there, first time posting so let me know if I'm missing anything!

It all just started today, for the past two days my laptop's video driver crashed when I was watching a fullscreen video on my laptop screen, which disconnected only my second display until I restarted my computer.
Anyways, this happened again today, so I decided to see if my display drivers needed updating, which they did! So I updated both my Intel(R) HD Graphics 400 and NVIDIA Quadro K1000M drivers to date...and that's when my second display started malfunctioning.

Basically, the problem is that my second display either flickers black on and off (for a split second) every couple seconds or when I'm not doing anything on the computer, it will turn black until I move my mouse or type a key. If I don't move my mouse or type a key then the display disconnects completely, leaving me to have to take out the VGA and plug it back in. I also noticed that if I don't unplug it after the display disconnects my laptop becomes very slow/ unresponsive until I do.

I have tried:

• - Restarting my laptop several times
    - Using different VGA cables and different monitors (They did the same thing)
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling my NVIDIA Quadro K1000M driver
    - Setting the screen to never turn off in the power plan settings

If it helps

My laptop screen, a Lenovo W530 is:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
1600x900 (32bit) (60Hz)

My second display, a toshiba tv is:
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M
1360x768 (32bit) (60Hz)

My setup has been working fine for a couple months until this happened, any help would be greaty appreciated!

edit : In other events, I almost didn't post this because I thought the problem just vanished, but after 4-5 hours of it working okay last night, it still came back.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.

Hopefully this will help. :)
Hi,

Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.

Hopefully this will help. :)

Solution

Robertrigo5000

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Thank you so much!
I only tried uninstalling the drivers from Device Manager, but this way worked perfectly.
Seems to be running fine again :D

tesa04

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hi,
I was experiencing the same symptoms with my Lenovo W530 as those reported by Robertrigo5000. My W530 has the same display drivers although I have a 1920x1080 screen on my laptop. I followed Laptop Nerds advice and went to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx but was reticent to download the driver based on the README document advice that it was advisable to source drivers from the laptop OEM's site. After a deal of searching I located the following page http://support.lenovo.com/au/en/downloads/ds103458 that listed my display drivers and laptop model number. I downloaded the display driver and went through the installation process (running with Administrator privileges) and rebooting the laptop several times to only find the driver was not updating.

Finally, out of exasperation I pressed Windows key + x > Device Manager > Display Adapters > double click Quadro K100M > Drivers tab > Update Driver... to allow windows to find an update. It worked!!

More importantly, it solved my flickering problem on the external monitor/