Second thoughts about VIVE and (Now) Oculus Touch?

museprime

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Has anyone considered going with a Oculus touch instead of a VIVE, now that the touch controllers have come out?

I recently got to test drive an Oculus Rift with the touch controllers. And they were outstanding. However I do have a VIVE on the way and I have tried it and clearly I was blown away. At the same time I have that lingering thought if I chose well or if Oculus rift will see more game support even though VIVE is backed by Steam.

And I know HTC says that touch controls are on the way. But with steam involved who knows how long that will be. I know steam VR is also playable on Rift now but how similar is that to reVive?

Just various thoughts I am having. Trying to decide whether to exchange it, return it or keep it.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Simplify the question:
"You own a VIVE, and if you had an offer to trade for a Oculus Rift with all the accessories, at NO additional cost, would you trade?"

Answer:
NO!

Reason:
- Roomscape.

The oculus roomscape isn't equal to VIVE, and that adds a lot to VR.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What I believe is HTC Vive won the VR battle. They came to market with the superior product. In that time, Oculus has had to play catchup, and now they have a better peripheral, but not a better VR solution.

That is OK, cause the systems have only been out for 8 months now. They are eventually going to release their Second Generation of their headsets, and we'll be back to this all over again.

What I am...

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Simplify the question:
"You own a VIVE, and if you had an offer to trade for a Oculus Rift with all the accessories, at NO additional cost, would you trade?"

Answer:
NO!

Reason:
- Roomscape.

The oculus roomscape isn't equal to VIVE, and that adds a lot to VR.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What I believe is HTC Vive won the VR battle. They came to market with the superior product. In that time, Oculus has had to play catchup, and now they have a better peripheral, but not a better VR solution.

That is OK, cause the systems have only been out for 8 months now. They are eventually going to release their Second Generation of their headsets, and we'll be back to this all over again.

What I am hoping for...
- HTC vive improved chord (reported)
- Wireless video (out there, but untested)
- Improved resolution (totally possible!)
- Lighter / more comfortable (totally possible)
- CHEAPER padding replacements!!!!
- Leap Motion built in!

As for the controllers, HTC will upgrade those for something better. Look at their BETA controller designs, and look at the current. They aren't much different. Also, you need to consider that Leap Motion is going to integrate into the headsets if they get their solution at an optimal state. We may not even need controllers in the future.

So many possibilities. :)

Solution

Sakkura

Distinguished
The Oculus hardware is better in a variety of ways, and the old "but roomscale" chestnut is largely irrelevant as the Oculus enables that too. But rather than listen to biased or ill-informed forum members, it might be an idea to check out some reviews from tech sites.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
>> the old "but roomscale" chestnut is largely irrelevant as the Oculus enables that too.

- Except it requires a 3rd camera for an additional $80.
Also, roomscale is still experimental in Oculurs. (per their site.)
"Please note: 360° and Room Scale tracking are experimental features—not all experiences may work as expected."

I haven't seen any major VR sites review the room scale and how it compares to HTC Vive. Nor have I heard anybody comment on their personal experiences between the two. Perhaps because very few people are going to invest in both systems. :p

Thankfully, we got forums where people can chime in! :)
SO Rift People out there! How is the roomscale with 3-4 camera setups! Max distance? Performance? Issues?

What we can conclude.. is the Rift is still playing catch up with the HTC Vive, and the initial thesis I believe holds true. Rift is working hard to be competitive, but the next battle is when they announce their second generation models.

(oooh, I did find one article comparing room sizes, but not performance.)
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-and-htc-vive-roomscale-dimensions-compared-versus-vs-visualized/

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Got curious on the oculus roomscape. So, it looks like the cameras are still USB. The problem being is then you need a long USB cable to get them around the room to the PC. Vive's lighthouses are wireless.

The more I read, the more I stand by my initial answer. :)
I still can't find any review that has done a solid comparison testing between the two.

Sakkura

Distinguished

You can do a room scale setup with 2 cameras. Yeah the area can't be huge, but then most people don't have a huge area available anyway.

The Rift is not playing catch-up, it is now caught up in pretty much all relevant areas, and is superior in several ways. It's the overall better package now, until the Vive gets some improvements of its own. There have been rumors about an updated, more comfortable version, and of course there's that wireless upgrade kit from China. We'll see.

The Vive lighthouses are not wireless.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Yeah, I was gonna leave that statement alone. The initial poster is getting a Vive, so it wasn't too relevant, and it may simply be a mistaken use of terminology.

Minor. The more interesting question which we are straying from is would Vive users switch over to Rift, and what is the reasoning?
Although I would be interested in a review of Rift Roomscale from a Vive user.

Sakkura

Distinguished

A power cord is a wire...

I don't think anyone who already owns a Vive (beyond return period) should switch to a Rift. But before then, it's worth considering.

Sakkura

Distinguished

I did read the post. Now you read my response and try to understand it. Routing wires is routing wires, it doesn't matter if it's power or USB.

We're talking about wires. Wires are wires.