Secondary HDD(SSD) Not recognized. Hardware Issue?

Roeloffj

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hi guys,

Usually, use the existing advice on TH, but new to this thread thing.

I have an issue whereby I removed my ODD and replaced it with a cradle housing my new SSD. The problem now is that my laptop (Asus G56JK) does not recognize it anywhere. It is not seen in the BIOS (running newest version according to ASUS support) nor in the device manager under storage. I have gone and tested the cradle along with the SSD on another laptop (Lenovo) which has recognized it. When exchanging the normal HDD with the SSD, the SSD works. The ODD (DVD-ROM) does also work within my laptop, when i slot it back into place after removing the cradle. Any advice? Not even Asus can help me.

My specs are as follows:

i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHZ
16GB RAM DDR3
Motherboard: G56JK

Hope this helps

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome, @Roeloffj!

I'd recommend you start by resetting BIOS and getting the settings back to factory defaults to see if that will help with the SSD/HDD detection. Since the drive works on another laptop and the SATA connector in your laptop has no issues recognizing the ODD (DVD-ROM), then I'd recommend you try using a different HDD caddy. I suspect that the issue could be coming from its SATA connector, rather than the HDD itself or your laptop.
I believe that should resolve the issue.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting, though.
SuperSoph_WD

Roeloffj

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Hi SuperSoph_WD
Thanks for the advice. Just an update.

I did the factory default as said. Still no recognition of the SSD. I used the caddy with the hard drive still in it in the other laptop to test it and it is recognized by the other laptop. Indicating the problem is not with the caddy. I did however just to be sure use another caddy and still no recognition.

Any other advice?

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there again, @Roeloffj!

This seems odd. What about swapping the places of the SSD and the HDD in your laptop. Try using the HDD from the caddy and connect the SSD in the primary HDD slot. Does the system recognize both the HDD and the SSD properly, if you connect them like that?

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

Roeloffj

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Hi SuperSoph_WD

Did as advised. To no avail. switched the two drives, the SSD gets recognized as the primary. However the original HDD in the caddy this time, does not. I also went and reinstalled the bios version just to be sure that the default setting were being used. Nothing. Is it possible that there is maybe a power setting that needs to be changed?

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello agian, @Roeloffj!

I'd suggest you check the BIOS settings indeed and try enabling hot plugging for the SATA port that is connected to the optical bay (HDD caddy).
Your laptop should support UEFI as well, so I'd also suggest you change the boot mode from Legacy BIOS to UEFI BIOS and vice versa, to see if that will help.
The source of the issue might also be the system, so I'd suggest you run the Repair options from the Windows Installation media.
As a last resort, contact the laptop manufacturer's customer support for assistance. It's possible that they might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Hope it works. Keep me posted! ;)
SuperSoph_WD