Seeking a Laptop/Notebook/Ultrabook with specific characteristics

Michael Berkowitz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I've hunted on Amazon, Newegg and elsewhere but surprisingly haven't found what I want for a reasonable price, so I'm turning to you folks for help:

Here are the specs that are important to me:

~15.6"
>= i5 or equivalent
>= 500GB HDD
>= 64GB SDD (I want the OS on the SDD); I'd gladly settle for a unit that I can add an SDD to, like with an mSATA connection, but it has to be able to boot off it.
>= 4GB RAM

I'm flexible about everything else. The thing that makes it hard to find is the SDD, though I find that weird because it makes such a difference and the technology is there.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Michael

Michael Berkowitz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Certainly under $1,000. Frankly I think something should be available with the specs I need for under $750, but all I've seen so far are souped-up gaming machines for around $1,500 and up.

Can you live with a SSD only laptop? (use an external HDD for storing photos,music,etc.) I'm asking because usually aside from gaming notebooks,it's hard to find a laptop with 2 drive slots(especially within your price range)

Michael Berkowitz

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
In theory I could do that, but from what I've heard (and I realize this is anecdotal) there's some question as to the long-term viability of flash memory as primary storage. I've heard that the technology doesn't do so well with repeated writes...