Sega Launching Genesis Emulator for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
it's like a SEGA GAME GEAR but with out the crappy battery life and small screen lol. Still 6 bucks for a genesis game is too much. I agree that it should be $0.99^

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]pakardbell486dx2[/nom]it's like a SEGA GAME GEAR but with out the crappy battery life and small screen lol. Still 6 bucks for a genesis game is too much. I agree that it should be $0.99^[/citation]
LOL the game gear had crappy battery life as well... I cant remember how many AA batteries it took :)

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The GameGear and Nomad were both far superior to the GameBoy of the same time period, technically. They had Backlit color displays and 16-bit graphics, while the GameBoy sported 2-bit greyscale and no backlight.
But 6 AA's for 6 hours (2 hours for the Nomad!) was ridiculous, especially when rechargeable batteries were still expensive and impractical. Not to mention the cost for the system itself (when new). But still, the Nomad was pretty cool for being a (nearly) complete mobile Genesis with TV out and two-player capability.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The Game Gear didn't have 16-bit graphics, however it did feature a much larger colour palette than both the Master System and Mega Drive/Genesis, despite being limited in how it used it (32 of 4,096 - reminds me of the Amiga 600).

Turning the iPhone into a Nomad is great, but the prices do worry me. Why not charge based on the size of the game and not because of its name? I certainly wouldn't pay $6 for the first Sonic.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
They should charge $1 per 8 megabits of game. So... $1 for Sonic, $2 for Streets of Rage 2, $3 for Street Fighter II: SCE, and so on. Most 16-bit titles wouldn't be any more than 16Mbit.

Golden Axe was fun, but it lacked stereo sound plus some of the coin-op's animation. It was also a 4Mbit cartridge, so... $0.50? :p

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
As time goes by, I increasingly feel I'm amongst a minority that believes there is a time, a place and a console for everything.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]waffle911[/nom]The GameGear and Nomad were both far superior to the GameBoy of the same time period, technically. They had Backlit color displays and 16-bit graphics, while the GameBoy sported 2-bit greyscale and no backlight.But 6 AA's for 6 hours (2 hours for the Nomad!) was ridiculous, especially when rechargeable batteries were still expensive and impractical. Not to mention the cost for the system itself (when new). But still, the Nomad was pretty cool for being a (nearly) complete mobile Genesis with TV out and two-player capability.[/citation]

The Game Gear was basically a portable Master System, but with lower resolution and a much higher colour pallet. The Nomad was a portable Mega Drive/Genesis. Even the Game Gear had much more horsepower than the Game Boy. Don't think it was more powerfull than the Game Boy Color, though.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
56 from 32,768 but at the same res at standard Game Boy and Game Gear (160x144). The CPU was double the speed (8MHz Z80-clone) and the memory was quadrupled to 32KB system, 16KB VRAM. It would have been easily superior to the Game Gear, and it came out a good 8 years later.

For reference, the Master System used 16 of 64 colours (ignoring shadow/highlight tricks) at 256x192, whereas the Mega Drive/Genesis used 64 of 512 colours at 320x224. All of the handhelds sported stereo sound; the Game Boy seemed to have a stereo version of the NES's audio system, and likewise for the Game Gear as compared to the Master System.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
If I had an Iphone, I'd get it. Maybe I should look into a PC emulator. I remember lots of good times playing Altered Beast, Golden Axe II (better than the 1st) and Rock n Roll Racing.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
A PC emulator would certainly be cheaper. Not that I'm condoning piracy, mind you, though aren't you still allowed to own software versions of cartridges that you physically possess?

Emulators in themselves aren't illegal. I play a Saturn emulator on my PC using the original game discs because my Saturn won't read discs (seems to do that a lot).

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Ummm did they announce how would you be able to control the game on a iPhone? Do you have to buy a controller or you have to use the touch screen and thus make the screen smaller?

G

[citation][nom]Suzaku[/nom]Ummm did they announce how would you be able to control the game on a iPhone? Do you have to buy a controller or you have to use the touch screen and thus make the screen smaller?[/citation]

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Presuming they are just doing straight emulation then the games aren't exactly going to have the iPhone's control system in mind... And genesis games were pretty heavy on the button mashing, they could be quite hard to play on a touch screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.