Sega's Mega Drive Revived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
you can already buy a megadrive officially licences console with over 100 games built into the machine in Brazil for about USD 130.
What is with the comments on the price? It's damn cheap! Plus, as mentioned, you can pick up some of your favorite old games on ebay or garage sales. Great machine for smaller kids and to revive some good memories.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
mame doesn't have games, it emulates games.. also better would be to put an emulator on an old xbox or psp system, $53 seems like a waste of money to me :) maybe if it was more budget priced like 19.99..

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have a SEGA Genesis console that I purchased for $10 from the Salvation Army.

It may not play Japanese or European games, but that's not a problem for me.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
It's cool to see old-school being revived. It might have been cooler to maybe make a cheap IP-enabled console that you could download games into it from an online store for like $1 each or something. It's not like it would take much technology. Using modern tech the thing could be a SoC and cost a couple bucks to make. :)

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Old school is cool as long as they don't revive the old school crap games. Who wants a console with 100 games when 99 of them suck.

G

I'd rather seen a PSP version or Gameboy/Nintendo DS version of the Sega.

The price is not too expensive, but I'd not buy a chunky old plastic shoebox like that one!
These days they could create that sega the same size as the cartridge, if they wanted to!

Would've made more sense too!

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]caamsa[/nom]Old school is cool as long as they don't revive the old school crap games. Who wants a console with 100 games when 99 of them suck.[/citation]
But they aren't manufacturing or reviving any games but the few listed. You have to actually go out and buy cartridges, or find them on eBay.

Also, I've three-in-one systems with NES, SNES and Genesis (MegaDrive) cartridge slots for roughly the same price.

Dmerc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Just for a matter of interested, how many MegaDrives and SNES were sold worldwide? Was it more than the PS2?

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[blockquote]In addition, the Blaze version isn't region locked, meaning that owners can purchase and play Sega games from any continent, whether it's a Japanese role-playing game (granted they can read Japanese) or a rare title only released in Europe. [/blockquote]

Actually this isn't true. Late Genesis/MegaDrive games checked the settings on a jumper to figure out what region they were running on. If the setting indicated the wrong region they won't play. (Pretty much any game from 92 on does that check.)

dave_d

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
In addition, the Blaze version isn't region locked, meaning that owners can purchase and play Sega games from any continent, whether it's a Japanese role-playing game (granted they can read Japanese) or a rare title only released in Europe.

Actually this isn't true. Late Genesis/MegaDrive games checked the settings on a jumper to figure out what region they were running on. If the setting indicated the wrong region they won't play. (Pretty much any game from 92 on does that check.)

BTW, anybody want to delete my previous entry?

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I picked up a Genesis with 16 games and 2 controllers for $50 on ebay a few months back. Seems like I got a pretty good deal.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Dmerc[/nom]Just for a matter of interested, how many MegaDrives and SNES were sold worldwide? Was it more than the PS2?[/citation]
Xbox: 24 million
Xbox 360: 28 million
Genesis: 29 million
Atari 2600: 30 million
N64: 32.9 million
Wii: 44.9 million
SNES: 49.1 million
NES: 61.9 million
Playstation: 102 million
PS2: 140 million

Wikipedia

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]caamsa[/nom]Old school is cool as long as they don't revive the old school crap games. Who wants a console with 100 games when 99 of them suck.[/citation]

I'm thinking they will be reviving, because I dont see any companies wanting to release new games for 8 & 16 bit consoles. (obviously?)

Status
Not open for further replies.