Sennheiser 650 DAC/AMP? Bang for the buck 2016

Masq

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
Hello

Have a Sennheiser 650 or the Massdrop 6xx, while Im wating to get them I know that you can run with out a DAC/AMP but I want the full enjoyment out of them.

Thanks to all that helps ^^

Solution
you could run the magni alone if you wish. its a great amplifier. however, if you do this you would be using the dac that you have already (your onboard audio on the motherboard or soundcard)

if you ran the modi you would be upgrading the dac as well so that you have both a quality dac and amplifier.

is it worth it? depends on how good your onboard dac is honestly but most audiophiles would say yes it is.

be aware.. an external dac does NOT have virtual surround sound built in. to get virtual you only would have the option of using razers surround software... thats it. if you absolutely need better virtual surround then an alternative would be using a xonar dx soundcard ($80) paired with the magni. its a good pairing because the dx...

Masq

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014

As I can see in the pics there is a smaller one under it do I need to have that one too or can It run on its own?

the modi is a DAC while the magni is an AMPLIFIER. the e10k is a DAC+AMP in one box. the magni/modi stack is two.

the dac portion is what converts audio from a digital state to an analog state. think of it like the brains doing the processing of audio. you can sort of compare it to how most people think of a soundcard as working (although in reality a soundcard is a dac+low power amp+software).

the amplifier portion is what increases the output power of the signal so that it can actually power speakers or headphones. while products like soundcards also include amps, headphone amps often have significantly more power output to handle higher power headphones.

you mention in your deleted post that you want it to be portable. does it need to work with phones/tablets/mp3 players or just a computer? the modi for example only works with pc. you can however use just an amplifier with any device so that a portable device may power high end headphones. there are special dac+amp units which are compatible with cellphones (like the e18 from fiio for android). the magni is wall power only not battery so while its travel friendly with size, its not meant to use without power available.

if you want something which runs on a battery, the o2 amp is a good choice as well and will take batteries. the dac option for it is called the odac and would take the place of the battery (no batteries when using odac) but given odac is not mobile friendly (afaik) generally thats not something you come across as an issue. likewise, fiio products tend to be travel friendly with batteries included.

you also mentioned a sweet spot. not sure what you meant by this.

the schiit stack (two boxes) is the modi and magni combination (a dac + amp two box setup). the amp will run without the dac (you would just plug your analog source into it) but the dac will not run without the amp (all dac are low level output so need something to amplify the signal so it can power devices).

Masq

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
So I need the Magni 2 and the Modi 2, the combo of them 200$ for the pair, But I can have just the one, but then it is not worth it? And what I mean by portebol It need to not take up too much space, becuse I will use the 650 as my daily drivers, and I go to some LAN party here and there and there is not that much space for other things. But if it is Magni 2 and Modi 2, then that is what im buying, if there is no other bang for the buck AMP and DAC.

you could run the magni alone if you wish. its a great amplifier. however, if you do this you would be using the dac that you have already (your onboard audio on the motherboard or soundcard)

if you ran the modi you would be upgrading the dac as well so that you have both a quality dac and amplifier.

is it worth it? depends on how good your onboard dac is honestly but most audiophiles would say yes it is.

be aware.. an external dac does NOT have virtual surround sound built in. to get virtual you only would have the option of using razers surround software... thats it. if you absolutely need better virtual surround then an alternative would be using a xonar dx soundcard ($80) paired with the magni. its a good pairing because the dx lacks a very strong amplifier yet has a very good dac (same as in the $200+ stx) and also has virtual surround. now. is the dx as good as the modi? hard to say but i would like to say the modi is better at what it does but has less features.

the modi/magni setup isnt too large and would only take up a space of about 5 x 3.5 x 2.5 which is about the same size two hard drives stacked would take up.

there are of course other options (like the fiio e10k which is cheaper) but you really cant go wrong with the schiit magni and modi.. they are great products for the price.

Solution

Masq

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
I think that I will go with the pair from schiit, because I think the onbord dac is not that great, Mant Thanks for your answers ssddx and Dunlop0078