Sennheiser g4me zero vs pc 363d?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
the pc363d (based on the old hd555/595 headphones) is an open style headset which means a fairly large soundstage. they are noted for rather weak bass output. this set comes with an integrated soundcard for virtual surround.

the game zero is a closed style headset which means a much smaller soundstage but it games noise isolating properties and a bit stronger bass output. there is no integrated soundcard for virtual surround but you can use a soundcard with them.

to be completely honest here... both are overpriced with the pc363d being very overpriced. personally i would just use a cheaper sennheiser headset or go the seperate mic+headphone route. if that is not an option then i would say that the choice depends on if you value...
the pc363d (based on the old hd555/595 headphones) is an open style headset which means a fairly large soundstage. they are noted for rather weak bass output. this set comes with an integrated soundcard for virtual surround.

the game zero is a closed style headset which means a much smaller soundstage but it games noise isolating properties and a bit stronger bass output. there is no integrated soundcard for virtual surround but you can use a soundcard with them.

to be completely honest here... both are overpriced with the pc363d being very overpriced. personally i would just use a cheaper sennheiser headset or go the seperate mic+headphone route. if that is not an option then i would say that the choice depends on if you value bass/sound isolation or open/quality more.

you can get a hd598 set of headphones ($150), pair it up with a modmic ($50) and have an open design (which is ideal for gaming) and be better off than the zeros due to a larger soundstage and quality but with a bit less bass or pair it up with a soundcard to get virtual surround (if your motherboard doesnt have it already) and be better off than the pc363d with a bit more bass.

other options...
if you prefer lots of bass, you can nab the ath-m50s for $100 open box new on ebay ($110-120 bnib) which have a bassy closed design with good quality.
if you like really bass light sound, you can nab the ad700x or ad900x for $120 or $150 which have a wider soundstage than the 363d and low bass.

your choice of course.

Solution

mattimatt12

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014

Thanks alot! Do you know any good (maybe cheap) usb 7.1 soundcards? Also how can i find out if my soundcard supports 7.1?

the cheapest INTERNAL (for desktop computers) soundcard would be the xonar dg at about $30. it provides dolby headphone.
as far as externals (usb for desktop or laptop) there are not as many choices. creative has a few for about $80 that provide the features.

asus uses dolby headphone while creative uses cmss3d (now called SBX)

of course there are plenty of cheap chinese branded usb soundcards which claim 5.1 or 7.1 (but what you need is not 5.1/7.1 but instead "virtual surround" which is different than just having output jacks for normal speakers). i'm sure you can probably find a knock-off brand which does virtual surround as well but i'm not going to suggest any as typically you get what you pay for.

look in your motherboard manual it would list virtual surround, dolby headphone or similar support. many times it is not supported except on expensive or enthusiast boards although this is improving lately.

to be honest i never use virtual surround myself. its not absolutely required.. just a preference.

Codex77

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

They are virtually the same headset, apart from the (low quality) usb soundcard included with the 363. Both have the same noise cancelling mics. You'd be better off getting a half-decent soundcard and then choosing between the G4me One and the G4me Zero. Then the only choice you have to make is whether you want an open style headset (One) or a closed style headset (Zero). Open offers generally better sound and more comfort but some of the sound leaks out. So if you game in a shared space that may be an issue. Though the sound leakage isn't too bad. A closed set tends to be less comfortable and the sound isn't quite as good but you get more immersive gaming and slightly stronger bass.

I really wouldn't bother with the 363. All you're paying for is a soundcard that is worse than most onboard (mobo) sound... but which offers 7.1 sound, which a lot of mobos don't. If your mobo does offer 7.1 sound, or if you have a soundcard, you're better off with the One or the Zero. Personally I'd go for the One but both are excellent headsets. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.