Sennheiser game zero w/ onboard sound question

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello!

I'm planning to buy a headset (mic and headphones together, separate is not an option) for 200€ or less and I came upon Sennheiser Game Zero that seems to be quite good. The issue I'm worried about is, however, if my onboard sound card is good enough to power it, at least so it is noticeably better than my current Logitech g230. I do realize it would sound better with a dedicated sound card, but, for now, I'm just worried about the headset being too power hungry for my motherboard.
My motherboard is p8b75-v and it's using Realtek HD audio. Amazon site says the headphones have 50 ohms (impedance).
I also might buy a dedicated amp+sound card, but not for at least a year I'm sure, so it would need to be good until then.
If there's anyone familiar with this situation, please help me out. If there's also an alternative headset you'd like to suggest feel free to, as long as it's under 200€ (on stuff like amazon.de ).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You should be fine. I had a pair of HD 518 with the same impedance and sensitivity (50 ohm, 108db SPL/mW). They might even use the same driver. My onboard audio codec is the Realtek ALC 892 is also similar to your Realtek ALC 887 with a SNR (signal to noise ratio) of 97db. They would get decently loud and are not hard to drive at all, you should be fine.

There should be a noticeable difference from your G230.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
You should be fine. I had a pair of HD 518 with the same impedance and sensitivity (50 ohm, 108db SPL/mW). They might even use the same driver. My onboard audio codec is the Realtek ALC 892 is also similar to your Realtek ALC 887 with a SNR (signal to noise ratio) of 97db. They would get decently loud and are not hard to drive at all, you should be fine.

There should be a noticeable difference from your G230.

Solution

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks, I think I'll trust you. Ordering them soon.

Edit:
Just in case someone finds this thread with the same question, received the headset and it's amazing. Works perfectly.