Serious Internet Explorer Flaw Affects XP, Goes Unpatched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Chrome/Firefox, Avast Free, Malwarebytes. It's not hard to keep XP safe, nor does it cost anything.
'

Actually, yes, it is hard to keep Windows XP safe and it's getting harder. Windows Vista-8 have protections that many of these attacks just won't work, it's stopped by UAC.

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Chrome/Firefox, Avast Free, Malwarebytes. It's not hard to keep XP safe, nor does it cost anything.

Ubuntu is free and safe. No one should be using XP, it's over a decade old. You may as well go back to 98, most modern Virus' can't infect DOS based Operating systems.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
UAC is an interfering pain in the butt. The answer for XP is the same as
it's always been, and the same for any Windows version: don't use IE.
Indeed, some nations' govt offices do not allow their staff to use IE because
it's such a security problem.

Ian.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
UAC is what brings Windows to Unix-like security levels. Running an admin account without UAC enabled may as well be running like root. And there was a zero-day exploit years ago that affected Windows 2000 and XP, but could not affect Vista because of UAC.

Either way, the point is, Microsoft shouldn't be patching an OS they said is EOL. If you continue to fix things for an EOL product, nobody's going to believe your EOL statement.

gurok

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
What happens to people running IE7 or 8 on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009? Will they get a patch?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I agree. So far the last two zero day problems have been with IE, not XP. Why use XP? I've found two games I would like to play that don't work with Win 7 and its compatibility mode. I'm going to try at some point to see if they run in VM. Otherwise I might assemble a half way decent rig and power it up every now and then and play these XP games when I want to. (Maybe a laptop will be better...) When I do, I'll just be sure to NOT use IE and use FF instead.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
What happened to buying a new OS? Windows 8 was on special offer only a couple of months ago around $40, divide that over 13 years and not doing so is the definition of the word "cheapskate".

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Microsoft has to put the brakes on xp, they just can't keep patching major security issues or else xp will never die and people will be still using it or years and years to come. xp was a great os, but it's days are over. windows 7/8 are much more secure oses then xp ever was, it's time to let xp r.i.p just like windows 9x and move onto a more secure os.

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Send out a patch that erases XP from everyones pc's , then they will be safe.
Jk , Just getting tired of seeing all this XP talk now that its officially dead.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
lot of "allegedlies" here. not everyone is the same. Some users are happy with a console/terminal experience. Users still running xp likely prefer to have more control on their system and are allegedly safer with the know-how of disabling remote user services & auto features, and using double firewalls (router + zonealarm since back when it was free, but still works today). I like how ZA prompts me of something trying to access the net that's just been installed or is trying to access for updates even in the middle of setup and I can tell that "offline" distro to shut up & continue installing quickly.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Either way, the point is, Microsoft shouldn't be patching an OS they said is EOL. If you continue to fix things for an EOL product, nobody's going to believe your EOL statement.
No the point is Microsoft knew about this exploit back in October when they found out about it instead they did nothing about it and saved it for their "rainy day" corporate OS tax fund adopt or enjoy the back doors we intentionally left in the OS.

Windows XP less vulnerable to viruses than Windows 7 and Vista
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6906/20140513/microsoft-bats-for-windows-xp-says-windows-7-and-vista-more-vulnerable-to-viruses.htm

Windows 7 And Windows Vista More At Risk To Viruses Than Windows XP, Says Microsoft
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/12/windows-7-and-windows-vista-more-at-risk-to-viruses-than-windows-xp-says-microsoft/

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007

Ubuntu is free and safe. No one should be using XP, it's over a decade old. You may as well go back to 98, most modern Virus' can't infect DOS based Operating systems.

Well in the real world, there is NO Linux distro with a Gnome or KDE that runs on the 1 Gb RAM or less computers that still are in abundance. The Linux distros are now the very definition of bloatware.

Status
Not open for further replies.