Set-Top-Box/Receiver to Computer Monitor (VGA)

kofte

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hello everyone. In a nutshell;

I have an IPTV STB called MAG250 (works like a charm with my HDTV). It has the following output display ports:

1) HDMI
2) AV for composite cable (1 black end to 1 yellow, white, red end)

Because I'm a little bit odd, I'd like to use it hooked up to an an older ASUS VW195D Widescreen 1440x900 Computer monitor for testing (and viewing) purposes. Don't know if its HDCP compliant or not, my guess, not due to lack of HDMI. I'm aware that sound will not be carried over and that is fine by me. Picture is what I'm after.

Now, how do I go about doing this (with best picture possible in mind, but I will settle for whatever if need be)?

From what I've read, I can go either one of the following routes;

1) HDMI to VGA converter
example; http://www.lindy.co.uk/images/hdmi-to-vga-converter-adapter-p6787-5236_zoom.jpg

2) AV (composite to VGA)
example of cable (no converter?); http://image.dhgate.com/albu_102547536_00/1.0x0.jpg

Can anyone with the know-how confirm all of this or tell me if either of the two routes mentioned will or will not work? I'm planning on purchasing them from ebay/aliexpress and so I'd like to hear from the techies before going ahead and spending money.

MAG250 picture of back of STB;
http://tvandsatellite.com/images/mag250_a.jpg

ASUS VW195D picture of VGA port:
http://storage1.album.bg/24f/asus_vw195d_134c8_23760871.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time to reply. Any help is truly appreciated.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
What TV services are you planning on watching with this setup? Because that will determine the answer.

If you are in the US then here is how I understand it. What you propose would work with 'copy freely' channels such as ABC, NBC, Fox etc. with an HDMI to VGA converter but you will probably have issues with 'Copy once' channels like HBO, SHowtime, Starz and the like because it's not HDCP compliant.

If you are only watching copy freely TV then I think it will work.

kofte

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
A combination of both to be honest. Is there a technical reason why certain channels would work over others? The service provider for the IPTV portal would be the same regardless of the channel and for the free IPTV and the media player and web browser features of the device, well, it'd be free.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
There are multiple reasons why some won't work, mostly related to the DRM embedded in the signal and Path Protection. I use an HDHomerun Prime by Silicondust and was able to use an old Xbox 360 with component cables as an extender to my bedroom TV for the first year of having this setup. But then there was an update and then none of the switched channels would display and I had to get another extender. However none of the copy freely channels seemed to be affected, only switched channels with Copy once DRM and I believe this is related to path protection issues.

If the units you are planning to use support DTCP then this would provide the Path Protection required to make it work.

Bowmaster

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014

Out of curiosity, what IPTV provider do you have that is letting you do this, or are you just grabbing streams? Personally, I would love to be able to get something like a Mag250 or use something to tie IPTV into Emby (MediaBrowser) or Plex and record, but my damn ISP/Telco won't give me the IP's of their channels.

From a friends experience, I think what boogalooelectric is saying is true. He is able to stream his Comcast with a HDHomeRun except for channels like HBO and the other copy once channels.

kofte

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hm, sounds odd.

So, what if I were to use the unit's media player function, or web browser function, or Youtube function? The VGA monitor will show it however as soon as I switch over to a "copy once" channel the monitor will black out? Never read anything like this.

And I've read about HDMI splitters which bypass the HDCP however I'm not into tinkering with an HDMI splitter, and so then another question I have; what about the AV/Composite to VGA route? That should surely bypass the HDCP/protection of any sort since the signal would not be digital?

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
It will not be black you would get some sort of generic message saying this channel is not available, blah, blah, blah.

The AV/composite route might work but I cannot guarantee it and I doubt it will, so I would be careful spending the money on an uncertain solution. Bypassing the HDCP protection is exactly why they don't want you to do it, because then the path protection would be hackable and possibly allow you to copy content from Starz for instance and sell it on Craigslist or something.

kofte

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Just like to add;

I got my hands on a device identical to picture 1 - HDMI to VGA - (it has a circuit in the encasing) and it works, as I expected.

Hope it helps someone out there.