juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I just download
Look like a good FPU benchmark.I need some help for tweaking my CPU for SETI also does SETI suport SSE2

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

FatBurger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
You do realize SETI is a distributed computing client, right?
I believe the latest version has some SSE2 optimizations, but I'm not sure.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SETI doesn't use ANY cpu optimizations AFAIK. Not even SSE, nor 3DNow!.

Taken from the FAQ:

"Are you planning on optimizing the SETI@home client for the G4/3DNow/etc instruction set?

As of yet, there are no plans to optimize the SETI@home client for any particular platform or processor. Future versions of the client may be optimized, but there are no plans for doing so in the immediate future."

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.

FatBurger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Huh, I wonder what I was thinking of then.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I think SETI is a better cache bench than an fpu bench. A few version releases ago, I had a P3 700 @ 975 and a Tbird 900@1050 (still have that one) which I got due to the P3 being stolen. Despite the higher clock of the Tbird and the better fpu, my old P3 was faster at seti that this cpu is. I think it's cause the wu can be stored in cache, and operated on from there. Seeing as how the P3 L2 cache is better than the Tbirds, that may explain it.

If you want a really good fpu bench, open up calculator, type 3.665 x 9.677, and time your computer's response with a stopwatch :smile:

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wrote a page a while ago about seti. I have not kept up with it. One day it stopped downloading and never bother to fix it. I have been into everquest and never got back in to seti.

Anyways here is the link to get good performance. Most of it still applies.

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/seti-02.html#performance" target="_new">http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/seti-02.html#performance</A>

Jeff

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
If you want a really good fpu bench, open up calculator, type 3.665 x 9.677, and time your computer's response with a stopwatch

really??? when I do this I can't move my finger fast enough on the stop watch to time it it so far below even 1 second ...

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

FatBurger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Same here, and I'm on a P2 266 (at work).