Setup issues for pc to projecor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
ATM i have setup my PC to connect into a Receiver and the Receiver to my projector via HDMI cables. The issue that I'm having is a strange one that I'm sure has a fix to it but ATM its baffling me.. In saying this here are the 2 issues that I'm having

1) with everything plugged in correctly, receiver HDMI is plugged into HDMI 1 socket in projector, i then set projector to HDMI 1 input..PC picture comes up on the screen but i can only get my desktop speakers to work nothing comes out the 5.1 surround.. My receiver doesn't show up in the Audio playback options, nor is it showed in the disconnected/disabled section..

Now this is where it gets weird

2) now with the same setup leaving the projector on HDMI input 1 i physically move the HDMI cable from socket 1 to socket 2 and plug it in...Now i loose the picture on the screen but suddenly the receiver shows up in the Audio playback section and I'm able to set it as default and i can get sound playing through my 5.1 surround setup...but just no picture..

As i said i am baffled and have no idea what to do.. I have updated all my chip-set/audio/graphics and network drivers to the latest versions and nothing makes a difference.. I know its gonna be something simple but i cant work it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

these are my PC/Projector and Receiver specs thanks
PC - I5 4690, B85-G43 gaming motherboard, Sapphire AMD radeon r7 265 duel x graphics, 16g Ram, windows 10 64-bit

Receiver - Pioneer vsx-922

Projector - Sony VPL-HW40EWS

Solution
Confusing yes but least we know now from pc to avr hdmi out is all fine that side of things. Projector is doing something to the avr noidea what, to cause an absense of sound could only be the hdmi cable in the ceiling and connection ends maybe.

There any chance you can test the projector with another hdmi cable when you get time, maybe bring it down to test with another hdmi cable if you dont have the length?

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
yeah the pc graphics card only has 1 hdmi plug...ive got the hdmi from pc going into the dvd of the receiver and the projector hdmi is in input 1 to the reciever hdmi out... ill give the tv thing a go now...only other thing im trying now is a complete uninstal of the graphics and manual instilation

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
ok so i just plugged it into my Hisense tv and I get picture and sound through the tv no worries, so that rules out the hdmi i suppose lol..and it shows that windows is auto detecting properly i suppose...so thats definately leaning me towards either the projector or reciever....maybe lol

boju

Distinguished
Confusing yes but least we know now from pc to avr hdmi out is all fine that side of things. Projector is doing something to the avr noidea what, to cause an absense of sound could only be the hdmi cable in the ceiling and connection ends maybe.

There any chance you can test the projector with another hdmi cable when you get time, maybe bring it down to test with another hdmi cable if you dont have the length?

Solution

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
the only thing i can think of thats the problem is the projector... picture and sound works fine on the tv..taking the hdmi out of the tv and plugging it into the projector i get the same issues again...
so plugging it into input 1 or 2 and having the projector set to the opposite input gives me sound but no picture... plugging the hdmi into either Input 1 or 2 and selecting the same input on the projector gives me picture but no sound

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
i was using the ceiling hdmi cable when i tested it on the tv and it worked.... although admittingly it was a little sensitive to the touch the slightest knock would put out the picture and sound, but then come back again...

atm i dont have a spare 2nd hdmi cable thats long enough to reach... although i might be able to bring the receiver out and just try it with the front speaker...

boju

Distinguished
Im not familiar with projectors except seeing them project lol but if moving it to another room caused this, would imagine the only difference would be the hdmi cable arrangement in the wall? There's no switches at the back of the projector you could have bumped?

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
no your definitely correct...i just whipped out my laptop and got a shorter hdmi cable and plugged it into the reciver and sent the projector to the the pc with my other long hdmi and it all works perfectly so im guessing the culprit is the ceiling hdmi cable...sigh...this is a tad embarrassing lol...well i wont be buying from those suppliers anymore.. any suggestions on where to buy hdmi cables from.... I use 15m hdmi and it looks like the biggest issue with the ones i have is the end casing bending over...I only spent $140 on 2 cables last time about 1 year ago...

boju

Distinguished
Wish i could help you with cabling advice, sorry about that, can i refer you to http://www.avsforum.com/

They're more involved with that stuff they should be able to direct you in the right direction.

Good luck dude

ithloss8

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Boju you have been an absolute legend... i really appropriate the time you given to troubleshoot with me on this (in the end) stupid issue.. thanks for all your time and help Cheers