Severe laptop lag!

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
My Asus laptop (windows 10) is unbelievably laggy.
Almost all programs take forever to open, photoshop's brush lag has made it unusable, games have such a bad framerate that the jerky movements give me motion sickness, and even the most basic file struggles to load.
Any attempts at fixing the issue so far have only served to make it worse to the point where now the speakers are periodically crackling for no reason when I watch a video whereas they were ok yesterday.
Oddly enough, Chrome is working fine though. It seems to be the only thing that has no lag or slowdown whatsoever. Even opening it is fine. It looks like it is the only thing about my laptop that is working properly!
All my drivers are up to date, my hard drive has been optimized (whatever that means.... i'm not sure I just followed some tutorials that were given to me that were supposed to help), virus scanner and malware scan came up clean, and I even ran a disk check for errors. not sure if it did anything but after that one is when my speakers started acting up. They have since stopped crackling (something like 5 hours later) but it was pretty bad for a few hours there.
I would think that if my laptop was dying, all my programs would be slowing down. I'm not sure why Chrome is working like new so I figured maybe there was something else going on.

Please keep in mind that if you need any additional information from me, I will need instructions on how to obtain that information as I get really REALLY lost trying to navigate my control panel blindly. I get that it makes me look sad and uneducated but I would rather know where I am supposed to be going and get it done right than turn the wrong way, hit a wall, and waste a lot of people's time.

Hi,

May we know the complete model of your ASUS laptop? Has it been slow with games and Photoshop ever since you got it? Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver that may help.
- First, do open Device Manager then uninstall the graphics driver. (AMD or Nvidia)
- Once done, do also check Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site of the GPU.
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Nvidia: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Once the driver has been install, reboot the laptop.
- After the reboot, do test the laptop again and see if the same problem will persist.

what programs are running when the lag occurs? you could also check the control panel to see if any programs have been installed without your knowledge. You could also check the C: program file and C: program files (x86) to see if there is anything that you spot is unusual.

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

The lag occurs when any or no program is running. Think of a program, any program at all. if its running, its lagging. if its NOT running, its lagging too.

I dont really know if anything in that folder is unusual. A lot of it looks weird to me as I don't really go in there enough to know what is supposed to be there or not.

im going to try out the suggestion before yours to see if it helps then ill get back to you guys!

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

ok the sticker is really really worn but next to model i think it says x73s. i have no idea if that's what you're after but that's the only thing that says model by it down here so I assume its the right one?
It worked fine with minimal issues up till a couple of days ago when it started lagging like nuts.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. I think anyways. I installed whatever Nvidia told me was the most up to date one. The weird part is that when the drivers were gone, almost all the lag went away totally. The only thing that still lagged that I noticed was photoshop. (did not test my steam games because i didn't know how a game would react without any video drivers. didn't want to risk it.)
Once i reinstalled the driver, my entire task bar became totally useless for about 2 minutes. I couldn't click on anything. It may as well have been a static image rather than something with buttons. I couldn't even alt tab to different windows. I was going to reboot again when it randomly came back to full function. Things seem to be opening kind of ok. There is less lag when opening programs, but I am still getting photoshop brush lag and some programs still struggle.

Also, new development from last night:
I did another disk defrag just to be safe before I went to bed and my speakers started crackling intermittently while watching videos on youtube. They would be fine for a while then start sounding like garbage for a bit then go back to being fine. They seem to be ok today but I figured I should mention it because it was different.

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

I had to google that as i had not actually heard of it before but ill give it a try.
It wont scan a whole lot for me since I dont have a casual 35 bucks just laying around for the version that actually does things (i hate being poor!) but hopefully it catches -something-.
ill get back to you after it runs.

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

holy crap there is a TON of data on this program.... where do i even look?

EDIT
---
One of the categories is named error scan so im gonna head over that way and see if it picks up anything. From the looks of it, this could take a while.

AemiDaniels

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

after three agonizingly long hours of scanning, the error scan came up all green.