Solved! Severe Lightening storm in my area and power spikes and surges

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
Last night there were 6 hours of severe Lightening storms in my area which cause power outages and surges and spikes. I noticed when i woke up my TV was off but i left it on when i went to sleep. When i turned it back on, it seem to turn on just fine. but How would i know if there were any damages to my TV due to last night's power surges and spikes ? I have a very expensive Sony 4K television which cost me around $4000. so i was worried. Thank you in advance.

Solution
It's best to disconnect all chords from your display, even the wired ethernet cables in case the wires lead out into the main extension/poles. They can be conduits for the lightning. If your television doesn't show any static on the display and it doesn't behave odd during your usage scenario's you're fine. Outside of opening up the panel and inspecting it's circuitry for any brown spots, swollen caps//blown transistors there's no way to tell if the components inside have been damaged/affected by the lightning strikes.

Lutfij

Splendid
It's best to disconnect all chords from your display, even the wired ethernet cables in case the wires lead out into the main extension/poles. They can be conduits for the lightning. If your television doesn't show any static on the display and it doesn't behave odd during your usage scenario's you're fine. Outside of opening up the panel and inspecting it's circuitry for any brown spots, swollen caps//blown transistors there's no way to tell if the components inside have been damaged/affected by the lightning strikes.

Solution

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

what is static on display? how does that appear?

If it looks, sounds, and works fine it is fine.
If you often have power outages a really good surge protector isn't a bad investment. The cheap ones are close to useless and they all wear out over time and so do need to be replaced. There are whole house solutions that an electrician can install at the electrical panel. Peace of mind if nothing else.

fedace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

i bought Monster surge protection 8 outlet plugin which cost me $99. i was bit hesitant cause it only protects up to 1460 Joules but it does have $500,000 insurance. also it saids it Cleans the electricity as it comes in so i have clean power. not sure what that means. There were others like powerfish which protected up to 4600 joules of electrical surge but it didn't offer the insurance.