Sexting, Retweet and Cyberbullying Added to Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Not a bad move at least it will help those who still live in the last century to know where the linguistics are heading too ;p

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
It appears they refused to accept the existence of ' space ' between cyber and bullying.

On a more serious note, I have seen it written as Cyber-Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Cyber Bulling.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
"Sexting" is not a word, it's slackers' shorthand. "Retweet" is what a small child hollers while playing Army. I also agree that cyber bullying is more a phrase; perhaps it can be hyphenated: cyber-bullying.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Sure, but " ♥ " isn't a word, it's a symbol. You can't type it in. For that you'd have to use a desktop OS and hit (and remember) a multitude of keystroke combinations, which most mobile terminals don't even have.

And why would you need a definition for a fricken heart? If I type .i. or (_._) or some other single line ASCII, they have to add it, right?

__@" ————— snail

> —————— fish

/ / / \ oo / \ \ \ —— spider

=^..^= ————— kitty cat

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Cyber bullying is a BS concept... if you're "intimidated" by the internets, you need help.How do you make that heart symbol, anyway (aside from copy-paste)? =)[/citation]

Agreed... This is the cure for cyberbullying: "Screw you guys, I'm goin home!" *Powers computer down*. /sarcasm Silly children, internet trolls are not real people, they're all robots... why would you let yourself be bullied by a machine? /endsarcasm. People are dumb... I've never let anyone on the internet bother me, I just either block them from contacting me after the first irritation, or ignore them, and they go away. Words are just words...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
@Jtt.. obviously sexting is a word now.

I agree with the heart though.. It's a symbol.. Maybe have it under a few definitions, but it shouldn't have one of it's own and called a word.

cognoscentiable

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I definatly agree as well.. they're just symbols and "OMG" etc are just abbreviations. I think I'll hang on to my older version of dictionary for now.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think they should have included retweet as a word. Words that apply specifically to one company should have a much higher requirements to be included than other words.

Also I've never heard someone use the word 'mankini' and that's just a made up portmanteau; People should be able to figure out what it means. And I don't even know what 'jeggings' are, I guess I can look them up in the OED now.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I vote we deliberately think up some words to fill the most important holes in English.

1. Gender neutral he/she and his/her. Ze? Hir?
2. A second-person group. Yous? Y'all?
3. Strictly inclusive and strictly exclusive or.
4. Another 10 or 20 expletives :)

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]I vote we deliberately think up some words to fill the most important holes in English.1. Gender neutral he/she and his/her. Ze? Hir?2. A second-person group. Yous? Y'all?3. Strictly inclusive and strictly exclusive or.4. Another 10 or 20 expletives[/citation]

Just use "it" for everything! And instead of races: use "bitch".

Status
Not open for further replies.