Share program files across multiple installations of Windows 8?

mckenziepiping

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I'm wondering if it's possible to do the following:

I have Windows 8 installed on my SSD.

I also have Windows 8 installed on my HDD.

Is it possible to install programs on only one of the instances of Windows 8 and access those programs from both instances of Windows 8? I was hoping to install programs on my HDD and then access them from both the Windows 8 running on the HDD and the Windows 8 running on the SSD.

I'm simply looking to save time so I don't have to install my list of 30-40 programs twice. It's not a space-saving issue, because I know I could avoid wasting SSD space by putting program files on the HDD, but I'm wondering if I can actually just have a COMMON set of program files that is SHARED by both installations of Windows.....

Solution
It is true that you have to formally install the programs on both instances of Windows (so that the correct registry entries and any personal configuration files are created) but you can choose the same location for the install. That way the bulk of the files are stored just the once. I do this with Steam games on my PC, shared between a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 install.

So, install the programs on the HDD installation; then install them on the SSD installation but tell the install program to use the HDD as the program's location (assuming it lets you choose a location - I haven't come across much software that doesn't allow this).

Ijack

Distinguished
It is true that you have to formally install the programs on both instances of Windows (so that the correct registry entries and any personal configuration files are created) but you can choose the same location for the install. That way the bulk of the files are stored just the once. I do this with Steam games on my PC, shared between a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 install.

So, install the programs on the HDD installation; then install them on the SSD installation but tell the install program to use the HDD as the program's location (assuming it lets you choose a location - I haven't come across much software that doesn't allow this).

Solution

mckenziepiping

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Awesome, that makes perfect sense! Thank you.