Sharp LCD HDTV's Banned From U.S. Sale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]why is everyone still giving a damn about LCD when OLED is coming soon?[/citation]
Maybe because LCD's are here now?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
OK for everyone who is so confused it says this: A judge recommended that Samsung's TV's be banned, but it hasn't happened because it was the opinion of a judge, not a ruling. Now the ITC HAS banned certain models of Sharp's TV lineup. Why does everyone always assume THG has it wrong?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
At least my samsung-designed products are inside my well made-by-sharp TV,,,i swear i know 10 ppl that bought a samsung tv, be it a CRT, DLP, LCD & Plasma across all of its products lines & guess what? ALL of them have cheesed out on the picture quality just after the factory warranty runs out,,,this is my second sharp, 1st one was a tube that lasted 10+ years,, would have lasted longer if i didnt drop it

G

No clue but I do know Sharp invented LCD and Samsung's are mediocre.

bucfan

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
LCD came out of Sarnoff Labs in princeton NJ and was later part of RCA. RCA couldn't figure out how to make anything out of it so they sold it to Sharp Electronics who has put 30+ years into LCD research and production. First use was in calculators to replace more expensive and power hungry LED's
Sharp didnt invent the LCD they just bought the technology.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]MonkeySweat[/nom]At least my samsung-designed products are inside my well made-by-sharp TV,,,i swear i know 10 ppl that bought a samsung tv, be it a CRT, DLP, LCD & Plasma across all of its products lines & guess what? ALL of them have cheesed out on the picture quality just after the factory warranty runs out,,,this is my second sharp, 1st one was a tube that lasted 10+ years,, would have lasted longer if i didnt drop it[/citation]

Really? 10 people? Come on if you want to give your opinion just do it, but don't give us that BS that all 10 people you apparently know had bad samsung panels under their belts... Probably it was one, and it was just a fluke. Yes, it happens, even with high-quality samsung panels. Stay away from off-brands (insignia, etc) and you'll be happy. Pft, 10 people.... I swear I know 10 people who got cheese poisoning last tuesday!

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
there are only four mfg's of the actual lcd panel in the world, samsung being one of them, There may have been a MASSIVE lack of screens in the US if they had banned samsung. :p

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This whole licensing and proprietary crap is a monopoly in disguise. Disband the whole department or SEVERLY constrict what can be licensed/copyrighted/proprietary

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]there are only four mfg's of the actual lcd panel in the world, samsung being one of them, There may have been a MASSIVE lack of screens in the US if they had banned samsung. :p[/citation]I believe, Sony, IBM and NEC are the other ones..or was it LG and not NEC

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The patent system is stupid. If you invent something, and someone else remakes it better, then you need to step up and earn the sales with an ever better product.

This promotes healthy business. Restricting innovation is fundamentally flawed.

G

I have 2 Sharp LCDs and for 4 years... no problems thus far. The 2 Samsung LCDs we have at work have already been replaced twice and their only 1.5 years old.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
ViewSonic FTW!
However, quite pricy... I don't reqret paying $450 though (though could have gotten cheaper) for an amazong product. I got what I paid for. I have another LCD that was free, but I got what I paid for.

Would rather a Samsung/Sharp over RCA any day... RCA has a lack of proper support (which wouldn't be a problem if they product wasn't junk).

I hope this issue solves itself... would be saddening to see two great LCD companies quit producing TVs.
Maybe they can say screw the HDTV patents, and go right for 2560x1600 as a standard. =D

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
to be honest I think that is stupid. why another manufacturer cannot use a technology on their products? So you're telling me for example if new better phone batteries came out with more mah another manufacturer cannot use them because someone else's used it already?

Status
Not open for further replies.