Shift Click Problem? Mouse Highlights Everything With One Click. Keyboard typing different letters aka Shift letters.

Aug 9, 2018
My laptop thinks that my shift key is pressed... I turned off sticky keys and permanently turned it off too.. it didn't work. I checked with on screen keyboard an the on screen keyboard has same problem.. I tried enabling disbaling all serices did a diagnostic startup, normal startup. Had the same problem.. I tried to go into safe mode but I can't select safe mode. Please help. Also this problem clears up sometimes... And sometimes not. It's like 30% of the time it's working.. and the 70% it's not. I really don't wanna buy a new laptop. I tested my laptop kb too same problem. Deleted mouse and kb drivers all of them restarted same problem..

Laptop : Leveno Thinkpad Carbon X - Third Gen
CPU: i7 3667U
GPU: Intel HD 4000
Storage: 250GB SSD
RAM: 4GB DDR3

Solution
So i've fixed it... I went to my driver manager and updated my laptops keyboard driver to an incompatible so it disables and i restarted my laptop. Next thing i know it's fixed.. I just woke up and the problem isn't there it's completely gone! So basically my laptop's internal kb was messing with my external one or the shift keys had problems on the internal keyboard. Anyways it's fixed. Thanks all for trying to help.

Colif

Distinguished
OP started on Discord -
So far tried safe mode - KB doesn't work in the advanced startup screens so can't choose a safe mode option (later discovered trhat is likely cause they use a wireless KB)
Clean boot has issues, sometimes keyboard works fine, other times it has a shift key stuck
no new drivers to use on Lenova site

I would suspect hardware except OSK does same thing
Suggested clean install but user has Dashlane app and would lose all passwords (their premium price is misleading, shows monthly cost but have to buy full years service)
Has broken KB on laptop, uses a Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 which probably explains safe mode not working.

I suggested using KB on other PC but only other one is Macbook with no USB.

Should buy cheap wired kb to see if can get into safe mode, or if it has same problems.

Aug 9, 2018

I was using a wireless keyboard i just bought the Corsair K55 2 days ago. Same problem...

Colif

Distinguished
Wireless kb didn't use a dongle, its got a transceiver that sits on desktop and is connected via USB. Still likely win 10 doesn't have a driver for it as default.

Did you try to get into safe mode with the new wired kb?

curious if the kb works at all in ubuntu as it would tell us if it was some weird hardware problem with the broken keyboard on laptop interfering with the actions.

I can't recall, do you have a Win 10 installer? Its just a handy boot drive (if you don't, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just a handy boot drive)

lets see something
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter - this alone is a test to see if its all in caps. it also opens notepad which is redundant but most harmless thing to type into cmd

so I take it double clicking shift isn't a long term fix?

Aug 9, 2018
So i've fixed it... I went to my driver manager and updated my laptops keyboard driver to an incompatible so it disables and i restarted my laptop. Next thing i know it's fixed.. I just woke up and the problem isn't there it's completely gone! So basically my laptop's internal kb was messing with my external one or the shift keys had problems on the internal keyboard. Anyways it's fixed. Thanks all for trying to help.

Solution