Ship-Based Laser Weapon Successfully Demoed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]accolite[/nom]Yeah when you look at the perspective that the railings go you are looking up, but how can you see the ocean if you are looking upward? poorly done photo chop.[/citation]

Also, gravity has minimal effect, so the laser will always travel in a single dimension (straight). Horizon would prevent it from going much more than 15 miles directly across the land (which will not be an issue as it's pointed UP). If fired in a vacuum (like space) the range would be significantly increased.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
they should call it "Thermal Discouragement Beam"

but seriously, just burning a hole into the missile does not eliminate its momentum. Even after 20 mm PHALANX rounds puncture the anti ship missiles, some of them have still enough momentum to hit the ship

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I dug up the BBC article for this one[citation][nom]Stickywulf[/nom]Great idea until the enemy gives their missiles a reflective coating. Not all missiles are painted black.[/citation]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693
Apparently they've thought of that and aren't too worried - if you hit things with enough power they blow up anyway. It still sounds like a flaw to me though if it makes it too inefficient

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Apparently they've thought of that and aren't too worried - if you hit things with enough power they blow up anyway. It still sounds like a flaw to me though if it makes it too inefficient

There is also the option of an ablative armor. encase the missile in a second skin with water or energy absorbent gel in-between the 2 casings with a special bleed off valve to let out steam. it would take a LOT longer to kill a missile with that kind of defenses. However, it would also take a lot more fuel and thrust to run that kind of missile, and the payload would have to be smaller.

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Stickywulf[/nom]Great idea until the enemy gives their missiles a reflective coating. Not all missiles are painted black.[/citation]
Of course it is true. This concept is easily seen with a flashlight. Hold a hand over one eye and slowly move a flashlight beam toward that hand with you other hand. When the flashlight gets close enough, you will see red light coming through your hand. Yet, if you stand in a room illuminated only by a red light, you will find that your hand is not invisible, some of the red light being reflected by your hand. This is because reflectivity is not an absolute. Some of the light is being reflected, some is not. As the flux (intensity of the light) increases, more and more light is passing straight through. So it is not just a matter of whether or not you can make it reflective to the IR wavelength, but HOW reflective.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
LASER is an acronym; it should be LAWS or LWS. LASER should never have a lower-case "a".

Other than that... America!!! F*^k, yeah! The seamen have a new toy. That would suck if your last name was Guzzler and you were a seamen. Just imagine hearing, "Seamen Guzzler report to the poop deck."

G

@dgingeri

because north korea and iran has a few of those lying around, heck should be simple enough to engineer one of those beauties...

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]laserme[/nom]@dgingeribecause north korea and iran has a few of those lying around, heck should be simple enough to engineer one of those beauties...[/citation]

it would be simple. It's about as simple as making a quesadilla that would attach to a missile. it's pretty low tech.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Ever since the movie Under Siege, i have wanted a Phalanx. Going on, I would rather get hit by a Phalanx round, knowing it will kill me instantly. The LaWS on the other hand will most likely kill you with heat which would be equal to being burned at the stake...ouch!

CPfreak

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
[citation][nom]danny69t[/nom]in a few years they can shrink these and put them on sharks[/citation]

GW2 pets for real!

Status
Not open for further replies.