Ship-Based Laser Weapon Successfully Demoed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Also, gravity has minimal effect, so the laser will always travel in a single dimension (straight). Horizon would prevent it from going much more than 15 miles directly across the land (which will not be an issue as it's pointed UP). If fired in a vacuum (like space) the range would be significantly increased.

and here you are wrong, photons are subject to gravitational pull... you know black holes suck in light? well it will bend here on earth too if the distance is great enough, if you shoot a laser past the moon then it will bend in behind the moon as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Of course, there will be environmental limitations, but of key note will be the ability to clear airspace to ensure the system doesn't zap any friendly eyes or aircraft or space platforms...These "bullets" can go a long way!

G

Yes it has been shown that gravity does indeed have an effect on photons however you are wrong as the effect of the earth's gravity on this is insignificant. Firing it towards the horizon will not make it bend around the horizon following the curviture of the earth. For all intents and purposes it will keep going straight into the atmosphere. The earth and the moon have nowhere near the gravitational force necessary to impact photons in any significant way. If they did you wouldn't really be able to see the moon or it would look greatly distorted or you would be able to see objects directly behind the moon which you obviously cannot.

ask7852

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Good luck using this in the rain.[/citation]
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Guys I highly doubt that some guys in a tech forum are going to come up with issues that Raytheon hasn't already thought about this far into the process... I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the amount of time and research they've put into this.

I'm just saying you don't become Raytheon by making lasers that can be countered by missiles with reflective paint.

Sounds awesome.

Remember to take off the lens caps prior to firing ...

Don't aim at the top of lighthouses ...

Not to be used for reheating rations / cooking soup ...

Do not be tempted to aim at the bridge ...

Do not be tempted to aim at the bridge ...

Status
Not open for further replies.