Shoppers Hoarding Incandescent Lightbulbs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]What about those of us with dimmers?? CF lamps ownt work with dimmers.[/citation]
LEDs? :lol:

Joking aside, CFLS are NOT the answer. CFLs contain MERCURY!!!! True, it's a small amount, but all those millions of CFLs add up to a ton of MERCURY. LEDs FTW!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Climate change is primarily caused by shifts in the Earths orbit and Sun Spots. Don't believe me? Educate yourself on Milankovitch cycles, and The Maunder Minimum. What will be really interesting, is if predictions on the Sun's patterns pan out, and the Earth goes into a cooling cycle 20 years from now: Oh no! Its getting colder! Hurry, dump CO2 in the air! *pause* Its not working! Its not working!

As much as I openly mock global warming concerns, I believe saving energy is a good thing, and we should still do our best to treat the environment with respect.
-I don't like CFL bulbs because I don't believe the average person is responsible enough to recycle them correctly... which is why I look forward to new LED technologies. That said, I don't think the government (any government) would care about the environment enough to push this kind of change. There must be some other factors at work.

G

That would be nice if true. So far in my experience they burn out FASTER then incandescent. Release a toxic cloud when they do burn out, and cost more to buy in the first place.

Maybe its the fact i live at a high elevation. And the electronics don't get cooled enough and they burn. But from my experience they SUCK.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
in an effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

You mean the shit that plants take in through the process of photosynthesis?

If there is a real problem with C02 emissions then the issue needs to be solved at the source..THE FUCKING POWER PLANT YOU DUMB ASSES!

Wave, tidal, wind, solar..pick one or all of them. Stop wasting everyone's time and money over stupid sh** they have no control over.
If fluorescent bulbs were the next obvious step forward, the market would push incandescent bulbs out on its own. (LCD vs CRT)

joemamassmurf

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]we can make a T1000 terminator out of all the mercury in used CFLs![/citation]
Most of the Mercury in a well used CFL is bonded with the Phosphorous powder, and is actually pretty safe, not the same for a brand new one though.

jasoncwlee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
dimmable CFL does not work very well. I have a few and they can only dim a little and is still bright, when you dim further, it will just shut off. Also, I had to buy a few more to test them making sure they don't flicker, emit noise then I keep the good ones and return the rest. This happen to even the non dimmable CFL. So troublesome. Another thing, they don't last as long as they claimed, maybe because they made them cheap now. I used to pay US$8 to $10 a piece, now they are only $2.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]sadf98j2fjsk[/nom]That would be nice if true. So far in my experience they burn out FASTER then incandescent. Release a toxic cloud when they do burn out, and cost more to buy in the first place.Maybe its the fact i live at a high elevation. And the electronics don't get cooled enough and they burn. But from my experience they SUCK.[/citation]
One word: Quality/brand matters. Try some Philips CFLs.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
The 60Hz 'flicker' which causes headaches, is due to the way our household lighting via the electricity frequency that power grids use. Since CRT monitors and tv's use an electron gun that draws on the inside of the phosphorous screen in scan lines to paint the picture on the screen, this drawing is line by line horizontally from top to bottom. At 60Hz refresh rate a monitor refreshes at a frequency close to the frequency of the 60Hz pulse of florescent lights. Since there is a slight difference or out of phase/sync between the monitor and florescent lighting you will, when looking at the CRT monitor be able to detect a flicker in your peripheral vision at the edge of the monitor more than likely. However, if you change the refresh rate of you CRT monitor to a value closer to mid way between the pique/trough of the frequency of 60Hz/120Hz, etc, say 85Hz, this flicker completely disappears. Several years ago when LCD's first started to become the 'in thing', back when a 19" LCD at 1280 x 1024 cost $1500 and a 19" CRT capable of 2048 x 1576 at 60Hz (which I set to 1600 x 1200 at 85Hz), cost $500, it was way more cost effective and better resolution, at the time (sprint 2004) to buy CRT's. That being said I have a samsung 30" today at work.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Just replaced my first CFL. Its been 5 years and the sucker just now went out. Not bad. Plus after replacing every light in my apartment including the one in the broom closet and the ones in the bathroom cut my electrical cost by $40. Pretty much recouped the price of the bulbs in 2 months. Oh well, some people are stubborn when it comes to saving money and reducing waste. I too am looking forward to LED lights. However as they stand now, LEDs are way too expensive, but I look forward to cutting my savings even more since LEDs run 1/2 the energy as a CFL and work better too imo.

ouroboros

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Many of you who have lost your CFLs are saying they're burned out. That's not really true in the classic "burnt bulb" concept (busted filament), what's much more likely is that the balast has died. Admittedly; that's splitting a hair, either way the bulb is dead. The newer CFLs don't use the old magnetic balasts, allowing more on/off cycles and significantly longer lifespans because of this.

As for dimming, the rule of thumb that I recall is 20%. Dip below 20% and the bulb will either flicker or remain at 20% brightness regardless. Go above 75-80% and you'll typically get 100% brightness. This may have changed over the past couple of years but, when I was looking into them for my old workspace, this is the gist of what I remember digging up.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Most people are mistaken on the issue of climate change. Earth cycles are almost certainly NOT the cause of the past 100 years' or so worth of relatively consistent temperature increases. The cycles are both poorly-understood, as well as what is known shows them to be relatively slow.

Rather, the temperature increase is largely due to a different, man-made effect: the urban heat island. In short, as the area around weather stations have become more urbanized, the landscape became a cityscape, and hence got warmer, from human-made structures absorbing more heat than the trees and grasses they replaced, as well as the simple heat output from human energy usage, resulting in far warmer temperature readings.

As far as the mercury content, there is a small-ish quantity in any CFL (I've honestly not heard of mercury-free bulbs) but there are several advantages here at work compared to a mercury-free incandescent. Firstly, the mercury is inside the bulb itself; if facilities exist for their disposal, it needn't get into the environment at all. Secondly, their energy savings will work here; most people forget that there are OTHER pollutants produced that AREN'T carbon dioxide; and their impact on the environment is far-better demonstrated. That's right, burning things like coal releases mercury into the atmosphere... And coal is the #1 power source in America and the world at large. The amount of mercury emissions cut through energy savings actually more than makes up for the mercury content of a CFL.

Most environmentalists these days, it seems, can only talk of "global warming." A real shame that it casts green living in a bad light, given that it ignores all the far more direct and present-day issues with pollution. CO2 is invisible, but the far more visible pollutants are proven to be harmful to human health, and can ruin property values.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Most people are mistaken on the issue of climate change. Earth cycles are almost certainly NOT the cause of the past 100 years' or so worth of relatively consistent temperature increases. The cycles are both poorly-understood, as well as what is known shows them to be relatively slow.

Rather, the temperature increase is largely due to a different, man-made effect: the urban heat island. In short, as the area around weather stations have become more urbanized, the landscape became a cityscape, and hence got warmer, from human-made structures absorbing more heat than the trees and grasses they replaced, as well as the simple heat output from human energy usage, resulting in far warmer temperature readings.

As far as the mercury content, there is a small-ish quantity in any CFL (I've honestly not heard of mercury-free bulbs) but there are several advantages here at work compared to a mercury-free incandescent. Firstly, the mercury is inside the bulb itself; if facilities exist for their disposal, it needn't get into the environment at all. Secondly, their energy savings will work here; most people forget that there are OTHER pollutants produced that AREN'T carbon dioxide; and their impact on the environment is far-better demonstrated. That's right, burning things like coal releases mercury into the atmosphere... And coal is the #1 power source in America and the world at large. The amount of mercury emissions cut through energy savings actually more than makes up for the mercury content of a CFL.

Most environmentalists these days, it seems, can only talk of "global warming." A real shame that it casts green living in a bad light, given that it ignores all the far more direct and present-day issues with pollution. CO2 is invisible, but the far more visible pollutants are proven to be harmful to human health, and can ruin property values.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
@tayb: yeah, you have "faith" in the "free market" and by that principle people must die before mesures are taken. When everyone is putting mercury in your food you don't have a choice, just like when everyone is putting mercury in light bulbs. Only regulation can force them to change IF they have shown no evidence of wanting to change by themselves.
The recent economical disaster has shown how much "self regulating" the free market was. Having a religious belief in the "free market" will either kill you or make you broke.
The more free the market is, the less free you are.
There needs to be balance and history has shown the market isn't able to balance itself - period.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Unfortunately this attitude is what got us into this "climate change" problem. I don't know about you but I am noticing the massive change in rain patterns where I live. Two years ago by October through February rains rarely hit where I live, now it's an all year thing. Also the hot days are now really really hot.
citation]

i think you misunderstood what he said, from what i've read & watched carbon dioxide isnt the cause of any heating, its the result of heating (a good example of this is water, you dont get steam unless you boil the water first).

from a few things i've read, alot of people are starting to blame the increase in heat on the number of sun spots.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah, and others blame it on whoever didn't vote republican. Yet another study funded by Exxon.
Dude, CO2 doesn't "evaporate" from raw material unless you burn it. How many times did you flunk your science exams again?
It doesn't matter, sooner than later fossil fuels will be depleted anyway no matter WHAT they believe. Over population, reduced resources and heat will kill your kids, and their kids if they ever have any. But perhaps you believe that's in fact sort of a "solution"...

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its all about colour for me.
The 'warm' look is natural and... well... warm.
Its the old cave man thing. Fire out: bad. Fire on good!
That warm soft yellow/orange light just makes people feel right, even if it is subconscious.
The harsh cold light ccfl and leds can give just dont feel right... not at home anyway.
If they come up with filters or mix the right colour leds in to replicate the look, i'll buy em.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Sigh. Government interfering with more things that would eventually be sorted out by normal free market practices.[/citation]
Free market practices are NEVER eco friendly because it puts profit first. And as you saw in the article, incandescent light bulbs are cheaper to produce and that means they can be marketed at discretion.

[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]What about those of us with dimmers?? CF lamps ownt work with dimmers.[/citation]
Relax, that problem has been taking care of already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS