Solved! Should I be worried? Possible Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2018
https://ibb.co/cROFZf

So I have been having a "How would you like to open this file" Windows pop-up for the past few months every time I first boot up my PC. As soon as I boot into windows this is the first window that pops up. Recently I decided to open it with Word pad just to see what came up. This is what I got, I unfortunately had no way of copy and pasting it. It would not let me edit the file at all. Now that I opened it the message has not returned yet. I have ran IObit malware fighter just to see if it found anything but it didn't.
Another strange thing was when the window kept popping up on boot, I didn't even have to exit out of the window. I would just click the border around the window and it would disappear. Unfortunately I could not get the origin of this file either. Anyone have any ideas? I know it isn't much to go off of. Please let me know of any questions!

My PC is used mostly for gaming. I do not torrent or download unknown files. It is about a 2 1/2 year old build.

Solution
Although some one could make a virus that simply shows a box asking you to open a file which doesn't even appear to open when the computer starts up this sounds less malicious.

Most likely you accidentally dragged a file that doesn't have a program assigned to open it into the startup menu.

This would show the program on logon followed by the prompt of asking you how you want to open it.

Check your startup folder under All Programs in the startup menu. (Dont forget to check your own and the all users startup folder)

Msconfig with windows 7

And the task manager startup tab with windows 10

This probably can't happen by accident, but you can also check the task scheduler for tasks that want to run on logon.

Anything that wants to...

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Although some one could make a virus that simply shows a box asking you to open a file which doesn't even appear to open when the computer starts up this sounds less malicious.

Most likely you accidentally dragged a file that doesn't have a program assigned to open it into the startup menu.

This would show the program on logon followed by the prompt of asking you how you want to open it.

Check your startup folder under All Programs in the startup menu. (Dont forget to check your own and the all users startup folder)

Msconfig with windows 7

And the task manager startup tab with windows 10

This probably can't happen by accident, but you can also check the task scheduler for tasks that want to run on logon.

Anything that wants to launch on startup has to be on one of those locations.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.