Should I buy a new laptop

Evvvvv

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 with an i3 5005u and its bad. Should I buy a HP ProBook 450 G3 with an i7 6500u for 400 euros? (its second hand) and there are no better laptops that are second hand for even more money than that HP.

I do MS Office and other apps like that, no gaming or what so ever.

Help me decide please.

Solution
Well, if the i3 is bad, then what choice do you have?

Honestly, the i7 will be a great upgrade. However, it might be more cost effective to put an SSD into that Dell as I doubt it has one. The i3 should be more than sufficient for what you are doing, but the hard drive might be holding you back. Your computer is only as fast as the data it is being fed in most applications. Going from a 5400 rpm mechanical drive to ANY SSD will be absolutely night and day. I had an i5 6200U laptop that came with a mechanical drive. It was ok, but I was used to my desktop that had an SSD. One day I just got sick of how slow that laptop was and bought a 480 GB Sandisk SSD. Windows installed quickly, and from the first boot that laptop was transformed. I...

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Well, if the i3 is bad, then what choice do you have?

Honestly, the i7 will be a great upgrade. However, it might be more cost effective to put an SSD into that Dell as I doubt it has one. The i3 should be more than sufficient for what you are doing, but the hard drive might be holding you back. Your computer is only as fast as the data it is being fed in most applications. Going from a 5400 rpm mechanical drive to ANY SSD will be absolutely night and day. I had an i5 6200U laptop that came with a mechanical drive. It was ok, but I was used to my desktop that had an SSD. One day I just got sick of how slow that laptop was and bought a 480 GB Sandisk SSD. Windows installed quickly, and from the first boot that laptop was transformed. I kept it for 2 years after that and never again felt that it was slow.

Even that i7, if it doesn't have an SSD, will feel slow.

Solution

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018