should I buy a new Lenovo t460s without warranty?

novemberbreed

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Hi guys. There's a guy selling an almost-fully equiped Lenovo T460s in pristine condition for a nice price. The issue I'm having is he says Lenovo's Solution Center reports it as being "Sold without warranty". The price is less than half of that I find in stores, yet still quite expensive with respect to my monthly income. Should I go ahead and buy it? I've had 2 Thinkpad laptops before (older models), and never had an issue that required use of my warranty, but I don't know how the new models fare quality-wise.

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Err I would be very wary if he mentioned that. If Lenovo's Solution Center is saying that it might mean that he had the motherboard or another important part replaced and did not have the code to correctly initialize the laptop.

I am going off my experience with the HP tech I work with when he replaces motherboards on my work's computers and laptops, but I assume Lenovo has similar fail safes.

novemberbreed

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

Thank you for your answer. Although the configuration is indeed better (and newer), that is not what I am looking for. The IdeaPad is 15.6, a lot thicker and a lot heavier. I'm looking for something very light for traveling, from Lenovo (I find the keyboard best in class). I already have a 4-year-old W530, which gives a lot faster performance, but is really travel-unfriendly.

novemberbreed

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Your System & Warranty Status
Type:
20F9
Model:
003QFR
Serial number:
PC0A4QYF
Expired
Warranty Start
1/31/16
Warranty Expires
1/31/16
Days Remaining
Description:
This machine was sold by the manufacturer without warranty. Claims for warranty service will be rejected by the manufacturer.

The guy sent me the serial number.
According to Lenovo, it seems it was indeed sold without warranty. This is the first time I've heard of this policy. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Well at the least the seller told you before hand. Wow 1/31/16 warranty start and expire, that would mean this is one of the early t460s's shipped because the only mention of a release date is on reddit of 2/25. Wonder if this was a review model, I heard those can have weird warranty status.

Anyways you should still look for something that still has warranty just in case something goes wrong.