Should I buy a used OLED tv?

strommj20

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I've seen an ad in my local area on craigslist for a "2017 LG 65" OLED UHD 4K Smart TV. OLED65B7A". It's listed at 1900, about $700 bellow it's current Best Buy retail price. He has multiple pictures, the pictures look great, and he claims it to be in mint condition.

His reasoning for the sale is because he is looking for something smaller, and he is accepting "some" trades, or cash. (which I can totally understand cash, because I myself only take cash for craigslist sales)

Does something like this seem too good to be true? What kinds of things on OLEDs could go wrong, or would you be able to spot the problem if you went into their house and had them show it to you?

This would also be assuming I went in and asked him about his usage, about any issues, and further probed about his reasoning for wanting to sell.

Solution
Considering Google says this model is currently selling for $1699 brand new, I would not say it's a very good deal. The "A" model is the cost-reduced version with no internal "subwoofers" so can't do Dolby Atmos without a receiver and home theater speaker setup.

OTOH if you find a 1080p OLED set for $500 or so, that would be a great deal.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Considering Google says this model is currently selling for $1699 brand new, I would not say it's a very good deal. The "A" model is the cost-reduced version with no internal "subwoofers" so can't do Dolby Atmos without a receiver and home theater speaker setup.

OTOH if you find a 1080p OLED set for $500 or so, that would be a great deal.

Solution

strommj20

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Ok recent development from me contacting him. I guess He bought it at best buy for 1900, and he wants to stay close to that price, but might be willing to do 1700. He also has the receipt from best buy and says it still has 10 months of manufacturer's warranty on it.

This is really tempting!

Also thanks BFG-9000 for the input, I'll have to look more into this model to see if it's what I want. More importantly if I want a 65" screen as well so I don't succumb to his same feelings haha.

strommj20

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

He says he's only had the tv for 2 months, but I can understand. However I'm confused at how he bought it form best buy at 1900 if it's currently listed as a $2600 TV. I don't think these things usually go on sale for that much do they?

Technically off of the current retail price, his price isn't that bad.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
All the big retail stores including Costco and Fry's had it on sale for $1900 in January, it was on all the hot deals forums. It's lowest then every year because that's right before the next years' models come out. The 2018 models take voice commands but the screens are inkjet printed in China instead of South Korea. You'll note the current prices of the 2016 B6 models are also rather high now just because they don't make them anymore so the supply and demand curve is shifted severely.

The price was a big deal because it was from authorized retail stores, while the super-low prices you usually see online aren't so don't qualify for the manufacturer's 1yr warranty. If you use an Amex card you get an additional year of warranty free from them too.

OLED do not have any worse burn-in problems than CRT or Plasma as they all use the same phosphors and differ only by how those phosphors are lit. None of those types of displays are suitable for displaying static bright images like a signboard, but general TV use would be no problem. Just like fluorescent bulbs and white LEDs (which also use phosphors), they have a rated lifetime to half brightness, but unlike a (non local-dimming) LCD, the normal aging can be localized to specific parts of the screen that have been used the most. LCD will dim over time too but evenly.