Should I get a cheap Oculus Rift DK1?

BrenRC

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hello!
I've been looking online for DIY solutions to VR headsets for quite some time now, but I'm starting to feel defeated. Finally, I looked on Amazon for the Oculus Rift. I came across the Oculus Rift DK1 for a steal of $239.99. Now before you instantly say "Wait for CK1!" just know that I don't want to be spending too much money (DK1 is cheap), and that this is mostly going to be used with War Thunder, nothing super graphics demanding or anything. I've heard some problems with the DK1, but would you say that for my purposes it's worth it. Know that I won't buy the full Rift for a while at it's current prices and issues, that's why I look to the DK1. (Also, I'm posting this in mid June 2016, so keep that in mind). Furthermore, if you have ANY other good options (not smartphone, looked into that already) that are relatively cheap, please tell me. Thanks!

Solution
Another option you could investigate is the OSVR HDK: http://www.osvr.org/buy/.

I don't have any other the VR headsets, so take my advice with a big grain of salt, but from what I've read the OSVR HDK is not plug and play and requires a little more manual configuration to get it working.

Also, one of the selling points of the OSVR HDK was the hardware was meant to be upgradeable, but it looks like this might not be the case from 1.3 to 1.4, or either to HDK2 - again, just from what I have read.

v1.4 is $299.99, while the upcoming HDK2 is $399.99.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Ummm.. is $230 for a Dk1 a good deal? You should be able to find a DK2 for that much.
Anybody that still has a Dk2 should be trying to offload that sucker as they will have upgraded.

I'd save your cash for a DK2. Check craigslist.

kcarbotte

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
A dk1 will not be an enjoyable experience for you. You will feel like you blew your money. Uou'do be far better off putting that money aside and saving for a better kit.
An osvr is a far better option than a dk1.

micca20

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
If you have an android phone look into vridge. I've used it for awhile now the app costs a few bucks I believe $10 USD but works very well and can support some oculus and steam games that don't require room scale and hand tracking.

TheUltimateTeaCup

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Another option you could investigate is the OSVR HDK: http://www.osvr.org/buy/.

I don't have any other the VR headsets, so take my advice with a big grain of salt, but from what I've read the OSVR HDK is not plug and play and requires a little more manual configuration to get it working.

Also, one of the selling points of the OSVR HDK was the hardware was meant to be upgradeable, but it looks like this might not be the case from 1.3 to 1.4, or either to HDK2 - again, just from what I have read.

v1.4 is $299.99, while the upcoming HDK2 is $399.99.

Solution