Should I sell my MacBook Pro for an iPad Pro 2018?

hhjkkh10

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
I study Computer Science and am questioning if I should sell my MacBook Pro for the new iPad Pro 12.9 inches. I don't really program that much on my MacBook and would prefer an iPad Pro because of its power and portability. Also because I could find more creative ways to write notes. What should I do?

Solution
If you study computer sciences, which I also do, you won't be able to get by without actual laptop. I have both Macbook Pro 2018 and iPad Pro 2017 (which honestly is plenty powerful as well) and while iPad is stellar for taking notes especially as a student, web browsing and even business work - you simply can't reasonably do anything any half-decent computer sciences degree will demand of you.

iPad is simply not suitable for purpose of computer sciences study, unless it's somehow so bloody theoretical that you like never touch code or databases or pretty much anything any sort of half decent cs degree will demand. It's not the question of power - it's a question of compatibility and for all Apple's bluster about how this is the future...
Nov 6, 2018
If the main question is about portability than take iPad Pro. If you will need programming in future then stay on MacBook. iPad is not about programming on any even middle level. It's more for designers, creators and other creative tasks.

Gaidax

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
If you study computer sciences, which I also do, you won't be able to get by without actual laptop. I have both Macbook Pro 2018 and iPad Pro 2017 (which honestly is plenty powerful as well) and while iPad is stellar for taking notes especially as a student, web browsing and even business work - you simply can't reasonably do anything any half-decent computer sciences degree will demand of you.

iPad is simply not suitable for purpose of computer sciences study, unless it's somehow so bloody theoretical that you like never touch code or databases or pretty much anything any sort of half decent cs degree will demand. It's not the question of power - it's a question of compatibility and for all Apple's bluster about how this is the future of computing and what not - it runs a stripped down OS on arm architecture that is simply not compatible with most tools and programs CS student will be expected to use.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018

You're definitely right. Thanks for a more detailed explanation.